Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #1

Share |

New Furnace, A/C, Ductwork Install

Hey guys - wanted to run a bid by you and get your thoughts/opinions on cost and if where is anything missing. This is a 2 story 2,000 sq ft duplex (top and bottom). Basement is half underground, and the insulation is currently very poor (unreinforced masonry, no wall insulation at all on either floor, but new windows). Basement is currently wide open being renovated.

Here's the list:

one three ton 70k btu 80% furnace - Brand Rheem
one two ton A/C - Rheem
one coil
30' of supply air duct
15' of return air duct
12 supply air vents with registers
200' of 6" round galvanized pipe
one bucket of duct sealer
two ton condensor
all flu materials
15 ft new gasline supply
50 gal water heater

Total cost is $6,250. The guy is fairly highly recommended in the area and seems to know what he's talking about. Anything I'm missing or that we should consider?

dclay79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Sounds like a cheap price.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #3

Ha. I agree on that one. I've been expecting a 8-12k price tag, but everyone has come in around 5500-6500. This is the only guy who included a water heater in the install price as well though. The highest bid was for around $8500 and that was for a large shop that doesn't ever do remodels, so they bid higher (the sales guy basically said he was intentionally bidding himself out of the job, but they would do it if I was willing to pay he high price.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

The price he gave you is about what new construction price would be around here, without the water heater.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #5

manual j and or manual d costs????

They are a good investment for the future so that you know the right size of furnace, ac and ductwork...

also what type of thermostat???? the range of thermostats is now from mild to wild.
bobinphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #6

80% furnaces are a dying breed...ask about a more efficient unit. 90- 95% is the way to go. I wouldn't epect a huge difference in price, but in a couple of heating seasons you could see the payback.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #7

way to low...you will get what you pay for. ... that is for sure new construction price... watch out ......
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #8

So if everyone I've brought in has been in the same range except for one outlier - how it this a "get what you pay for situation"? Our basement is in a total renovation stage and this is essentially a brand new install. Sure there are small things that come up, but the install is going to be fairly straight forward.

Really I was just hoping to understand the bid and see if I was missing anything. The person we're probably going with is a tad higher than the above quote, and it comes out to $7,000 for the same package except with a Rheem 95% efficient furnace (only $150 more to upgrade from 80% to 95% after a city rebate program) and to run a brand new black pipe gasline from the meter to the furnace, water heaters, and two gas stoves. He's been significantly more responsive and his proposal has more verbiage stating a more complete install package. Seeing that this is a duplex, and we have the room, we may opt to lower the water heater size to 40 and install two for $7000. The only last possibility to consider is a tankless. We probably won't go that direction, but I'm not sure.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #9

Don't be too concerned by that comment. (get what you pay for") Different regions have different pricing because of labor and material costs. If all of your bids are in the same range you are just fine. Keep in mind that this board has responses from all over the country and world and what is a realistic price in your ares may be way too cheap in other area. You have done your homework and due diligence. The only thing I would look into is a more efficient furnace as was mentioned earlier, and it appears you are doing that. Personally I would stay away from tankless water heaters unless you need an endless supply of hot water. The minimal savings they offer will not be attained during their lifespan, and they require some maintenance which tank types do not. Best of luck to you.....you are going in the right direction.