Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #1

Share |

New Furnace and AC

I have been getting quotes to replace and move my furnace and get a new ac unit. They are around $6000, a little over budget. I want to move my furnace into the attic to free up some space in the house(a small 900 sq ft ranch). I have a guy who can move the gas lines and hook pretty much everything up. Is all i would have to do is place the furnace where i want it and hook the duct work and flu to it or is there a lot more that needs to be done? I can run the drainage lines myself. Is it worth doing this myself or should i stay with the pros? Please offer any advice you might have.

marksed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

New Furnace and AC

I would stay with the Pros. There are a lot of issues like proper sloping of the unit/ drain lines and flue pipes that have to be done just right. You also need a secondary drain pain etc when in an attic in case the unit overflows so you don't get water damaged ceilings etc.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #3

New Furnace and AC

That's cheap for new duct,furnace,AC, coil, line sets,electrical,vents,permits and inspections. Your time would be better spent picking up a part time job to make up the budget shortfall and letting the pro's handle the job.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

New Furnace and AC

EXACTLY, I would rather work a few hours overtime and pay the roofer or painter to do a PROPER job than "have at it" myself. Safer too.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:17 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

New Furnace and AC

WOW.

that is a low price.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

New Furnace and AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
EXACTLY, I would rather work a few hours overtime and pay the roofer or painter to do a PROPER job than "have at it" myself. Safer too.
Ditto! I told my cardiologist years ago I wouldnt install my own pacemaker if he didnt try doing his own plumbing and wiring,so far its been a good arrangement i should be getting pacemaker #3 in other year or so and all his friends/family call me to fix things!
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #7

New Furnace and AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksed View Post
I have been getting quotes to replace and move my furnace and get a new ac unit. They are around $6000, a little over budget. I want to move my furnace into the attic to free up some space in the house(a small 900 sq ft ranch). I have a guy who can move the gas lines and hook pretty much everything up. Is all i would have to do is place the furnace where i want it and hook the duct work and flu to it or is there a lot more that needs to be done? I can run the drainage lines myself. Is it worth doing this myself or should i stay with the pros? Please offer any advice you might have.
I think your decision should come down to how comfortable you feel about doing it yourself and if you'd like to do it yourself.

I got burned by my first "Pro" install of my furnace. The guy smoked 2 whole packs of cigs in my garage (I have asthma). He managed to "sqeeze" the two day job into 1 day. I had to look at the shady electrical tape job every time I came home from work. Also, as a result, after a year, my exhaust vents were leaking at the roof, the base can was rusting out, and I spent about 1500 dollars on his labor in my quote for the job. I'm a really handy guy and I like learning/doing this kind of stuff, so for me, the right decision was to do it mostly myself. If you do go this route, you can always find a pro to check it out for you to make sure its done right. The whole point of this forum is to get help on this kind of stuff, so if you do it yourself, post lots of pictures when you have questions..

Also, I'm not sure how 6000 dollars is a great price.

If you start at the bare bones, you can get all the base hardware for 1600 bucks delivered for a 13SEER 2 ton system with 80% furnace. (Can't do this in the attic however..)

For 2200 bucks you can get a 14SEER 2 ton system with a 95% variable speed. (attic friendly and top of the line..)

Go here: click on full systems:
http://www.acwholesalers.com/Goodman...ystems-s/1.htm

You'll still need to get 500-1000 more in materials (line-set, therometer, duct work, etc)

The docs say you void your warranty if you don't have a pro install it or if you buy it over the internet, so this is a grey area. If you call ACwholesalers, they say if you have a pro set it up you're ok and they will honor the warranty's. The pros on this forum like to drive home the warranty point..

-Jeff

Last edited by zootjeff; 03-15-2010 at 10:58 AM.
zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
HVAC Tech

New Furnace and AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by zootjeff View Post

Also, I'm not sure how 6000 dollars is a great price.

If you start at the bare bones, you can get all the base hardware for 1600 bucks delivered for a 13SEER 2 ton system with 80% furnace. (Can't do this in the attic however..)

For 2200 bucks you can get a 14SEER 2 ton system with a 95% variable speed. (attic friendly and top of the line..)

Go here: click on full systems:
http://www.acwholesalers.com/Goodman...ystems-s/1.htm

You'll still need to get 500-1000 more in materials (line-set, therometer, duct work, etc)

-Jeff
All depends on what brand and series of equipment you're buying...if you're buying better quality brands, than that is a decent price. If you're buying Goodman or Janitrol equipment, than that is high.....

A2Mich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ac unit, furnace