New Furnace - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New furnace

Greetings,

I have a Weathermaker unit that has a failing secondary heat exchanger (Smelly CO laden exhaust) and the quote to replace the parts was outrageous so I've purchased a replacement unit. Yes, it is one of the units covered by the class action lawsuit, but the labor to install the replacement parts costs more than a new furnace and by just replacing it I wind up with a new unit vs. one that is 11 years old.

I have a couple of issues that I'd like to address while installing the replacement unit.

The installers that put the current unit in place did a very poor job on the supply side transition and there is direct sheet metal to sheet metal contact at the flexible boot which causes quite a bit of vibration on the floor above when the unit is running. Where does one go to purchase a replacement boot/transition sheet metal duct work? Should I just start calling local HVAC suppliers? Will they deal with a homeowner directly? Are these standard "off the shelf" parts or do they have to be custom fabricated?

The new unit is identical in all dimensions, however it is 5" shorter than my existing unit, which is actually OK because the original installers failed to install a proper filter box. The unit is configured as a updraft, so I'd like to address this issue as well and install a filter housing under the furnace on the return side, once again, where does one go to purchase such a device locally?

Current furnace is a Carrier Weathermaker 9200
Replacement unit just arrived and is a York Affinity YP9C120D20MP

Here is a photo of the current install:

I appreciate any feedback!
-Dan

Advertisement

Dan Scherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 590

New furnace

These guys sell filter racks/boxes that might fit. You'd have to check the specs to be sure. The ones for 1 and 2" filters come in various lengths and widths but I think they are all the same height (~ 3 3/4"). They also make racks for 1" filters if you can't fit the big one... which might be the case since you need room to put in that flex transition.

As to the flex transition, I think you could go to a local sheet metal shop with measurements and they could probably fab one for you.

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewpro...ctID=453061567

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewpro...ctID=453058263

Advertisement

Last edited by raylo32; 12-14-2011 at 01:18 PM.
raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,626

New furnace

Sheet metal/fabrication shop can make what you want.

Must be a really big house to need that big of a furnace.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

New furnace

Thanks for the feedback guys, with the chaos of the holidays I just tracked down a local installer who did a great job getting the new unit fitted in place and setup with the proper filters, well worth the $350!

Sometimes I just need to slow down and realize when it is best to hire a pro
Dan Scherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 836

New furnace

Sounds like a good price too.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

New furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Scherer View Post
Greetings,

I have a Weathermaker unit that has a failing secondary heat exchanger (Smelly CO laden exhaust) and the quote to replace the parts was outrageous so I've purchased a replacement unit. Yes, it is one of the units covered by the class action lawsuit, but the labor to install the replacement parts costs more than a new furnace and by just replacing it I wind up with a new unit vs. one that is 11 years old.

I have a couple of issues that I'd like to address while installing the replacement unit.

The installers that put the current unit in place did a very poor job on the supply side transition and there is direct sheet metal to sheet metal contact at the flexible boot which causes quite a bit of vibration on the floor above when the unit is running. Where does one go to purchase a replacement boot/transition sheet metal duct work? Should I just start calling local HVAC suppliers? Will they deal with a homeowner directly? Are these standard "off the shelf" parts or do they have to be custom fabricated?

The new unit is identical in all dimensions, however it is 5" shorter than my existing unit, which is actually OK because the original installers failed to install a proper filter box. The unit is configured as a updraft, so I'd like to address this issue as well and install a filter housing under the furnace on the return side, once again, where does one go to purchase such a device locally?

Current furnace is a Carrier Weathermaker 9200
Replacement unit just arrived and is a York Affinity YP9C120D20MP

Here is a photo of the current install:

I appreciate any feedback!
-Dan
Not much you can do about the bottom, perhaps take the unit back out and put a rubber gasket of some type all the way around, but the top is very do-able, what your looking for is called a canvas connector, very common used daily in hundreds of thousands of installs, why the hacks that did your unit did not use one, I would have to say they was doing it a cheap as humanly possible.

Advertisement

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote