DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

New Flue Liner Regulations-NY

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  LawnGuyLandSparky 
#1 ·
Anybody have info about regulations on having to add a flue liner when converting from oil to gas? And when they went into effect?
Ron

#2 ·
Hi Ron6519

I am not sure about NY, but this has been a mechanical code for most of the country since the advent of 80 plus furnaces. The reason being is the difference in flue temps, as the efficency went up the flue temps went down. This generates moisture that in turn creates a mild acid that deteriorates the mortar in the brick and allows flue gas leakage. You can get the liner kits at Johnstone Supply, Grainger or other reputable supply houses. However grab your bottle of nitro and keep focused, they are not cheap.

Good luck
Rusty

#5 ·
The flue liner is clay pipe and runs solid to 8" above the chimney cap with no gaps in the connecting mortar. The house was built in 1949. The oil fired boiler, original to the house, was changed in September 2000 to a Peerless gas boiler. I was just curious as to when these regulations took effect in Nassau County on Long Island. The post was a result of a conversation I had with the plumber who did it and was back to finish a job in the kitchen addition.
I guess I'll have to drop a camera down there every year or so to keep track of the mortar.
I would still like to know when the law changed and where I can read about it. I couldn't find it perusing State Building Code information.
Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.