Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2006, 09:33 AM   #1

Share |

New in Floor heat ... tube is blocked

New in floor heat system and I believe one zone has a crushed tube. Has anyone had this and how did you handle it and repair it?
ricgail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:09 PM   #2
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi ricgail

Not sure what I have to say may be what you want to hear. Finding where the kink is should be no problem. First are you sure all the air is out of the system. Keep in mind it could take a couple of weeks for this to happen. If you have no air in lines, feel the floor for the coldspot. Once you locate it, I am hoping that its a grouted and carpeted floor. Otherwise you could really be an unhappy camper if its a concrete floor. The only way to properly fix it is to locate it and straighten or replace a section of tubing. Told you it probably wasn't what you wanted to hear.

Good luck
Rusty
#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:38 AM   #3

Thx for the reply Rusty. You are right; I really am not looking forward to the repair. It is a poured concrete floor. I have a lazer heat sensing thermometer but was not really looking for a cold spot; I was looking for a hot spot. I also believe that water is flowing through the loop but exactly how much I do not know. The Zone pump comes on and you can hear water going through the shut-off valve if you slowly turn it off and on. I can also hold the return line and it does get hot but the floor where that zone is running to doesn't get warm like the other two zones do. But the zone where the tubing runs through gets warm and I think I have found a hot spot right where the concrete people filled their wheel barrels. So would you think that is where a problem may be and if yes what has to be done....cut floor locate tube and repair????
The plumber is coming today and I hope He has the knpwledge to do the repair.

THX again
Ric
ricgail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:52 PM   #4
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi ricgail

Just wanted to see if you were able to get your heat working. You didn't sound too sure about your plumber.

Good luck
Rusty
#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:06 PM   #5
World famous jerk.

I'm sorta wondering how the tube might have gotten crushed in the first place. Normally, they're pressurized with air during the concrete pour to keep that from happening. It would take something near catestrophic to flatten a pressurized PEX line, wouldn't you think?
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote