New DIYer Here ... Need Info On Heat/AC Unit - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New DIYer here ... Need info on heat/AC unit

I'm new to this site and just about fed up with my heat system! Its a TRANE model # ycc030f1m0bc serial #j27154434 date of MFG 6/94... ordered a part the other day and they could not find it by the model #, had to use the serial # ...

I can do a lot of projects but something I have no clue about is heater/AC units so any info would be GREATLY appreciated!

Here's what my issue is:
It comes on but will not get up to the temp I have set on the thermostat. Sometimes it runs just fine and then sometimes it runs and cuts off and back on and back off and will still not get to the temp setting.

It has done this before.

I had someone come out 2 years ago because the AC wasn't working. He is a good friend and he checked it out and it ran fine. Im not exactly sure what the problem was that he fixed. A few months ago the heat started acting funny so I bought a new thermostat and that seemed to fix the problem. A few weeks ago it started back up with the same issues again. It runs fine then it doesn't run at all. I called my friend again and over the phone he talked me through a few things and it just wasn't enough. He came out the next day and looked at it for me. He tested this and that and he noticed the igniter had a crack on the ceramic part of it and it was sparking off a piece of metal. For a quick fix he put some electric tape on it and put it all back together and it worked just fine. It was on the weekend and late in the evening so none of the supply stores were open. For a few days it worked and then it started messing up all over again. I call the TRANE parts department and bought a new igniter and installed it myself. It worked fine for about an hour then it wouldn't keep running again. This type does not have a pilot light. I called my friend but he was busy so I went to Google and typed in "troubleshooting a gas heater/AC unit." The 1 reply I saw was someone having the same issue I was and the reply was "replace your filter!" that was something I never ever thought about. I do replace the filter but sometimes it just totally slips my mind. I guess it was about 2 months past due. So, went and bought new filter, replaced it, and the heat worked perfectly! I was thrilled!! The VERY NEXT day (which is today) its back to not working again! I have the heat set to 67 and when I got up this morning it's 65 in the house. It will not stay on. It runs for maybe 5 minutes and then cuts off and won't come back on. I turned the heat off, waited a minute and turned it back on. It runs for maybe 10 minutes this time and then cuts off and has not come back on yet! Its been over an hour now and it has yet to come back on. The temp is 48 here outside and the temp in the house is dropping too, it 63 inside now.

I have no clue on what to do next. My friend is out of town working and I can't wait on him to get back and I'm too cheap to call someone else!

If anybody can give me some hints, tips or info on what to do next it would be GREATLY appreciated! THANKS for your time and for reading my long winded post! Have a great day and again, THANKS!

Advertisement

Snewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snewman View Post
I call the TRANE parts department and bought a new igniter and installed it myself. It worked fine for about an hour then it wouldn't keep running again.
These are separate issues from the not staying on.

I do replace the filter but sometimes it just totally slips my mind. I guess it was about 2 months past due. So, went and bought new filter, replaced it, and the heat worked perfectly! I was thrilled!!
The air flow restriction (likely) caused OTHER sensors and controls to come into play

If anybody can give me some hints, tips or info on what to do next it would be GREATLY appreciated! THANKS for your time and for reading my long winded post! Have a great day and again, THANKS!
Nothing specific but the (overheating) sensors in the control circuit will be at the top of the list. If you had a wiring diagram and a VOM and knew how to use it...

hth

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp
Nothing specific but the (overheating) sensors in the control circuit will be at the top of the list. If you had a wiring diagram and a VOM and knew how to use it...

hth
Yeah, thanks for the info but the friend of mine that came out to look at it the other day had his VOM and checked all that. He does work for a heating/air company and I'm pretty sure he checked all that out and said it all seemed to reading fine. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

remove and clean the flame sensor, its in the burner rack, oppisite the ignitor......clean it with sand paper or emory paper, or a scotch brite pad.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider
remove and clean the flame sensor, its in the burner rack, oppisite the ignitor......clean it with sand paper or emory paper, or a scotch brite pad.
Thanks! I just went out and did that. It's running now and hopefully that will fix it. If that doesn't work the next step is to take the top off the unit and clean the condenser core. Never done anything like that before but willing to try anything to fix it before I have to break down and get a new unit! THANK YOU so much for the info!
Old 01-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snewman View Post
Thanks! I just went out and did that. It's running now and hopefully that will fix it. If that doesn't work...
Try to understand why what you did was needed...
and how it came to be needed.

What was that material you cleaned off the flame sensor?
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp

Try to understand why what you did was needed...
and how it came to be needed.

What was that material you cleaned off the flame sensor?
Yeah, I tell you what, I'm not a sponge in any way shape or form, but when someone takes the time to come help me try and figure out what's wrong with something I'm having issues with, I try to learn as much as I can! With my friend not able to come by the other week and me needing some heat in the house that night, I was so thankful he tried his best to walk me through the steps over the phone. I took some pics and sent them to his email and he was telling me how to do each thing that he would have done if he were here. It was so helpful to me because I was doing the work myself. Sure, you can learn from reading about something, but nothing beats hand-on experience!

Bad news tonight is that cleaning the flame sensor did not resolve the issues. It really didn't look that bad but I don't know what a good or bad 1 looks like. It had a couple of rust spots on it and maybe looked a little dull, I guess? After I cleaned it with the sandpaper it looked shiny and new so that's why I say it looked dull.

The next thing is cleaning the condenser core. I live with my girlfriend at her house. Talking with her tonight about it she informs me that she never really changed the filter all that much. She's divorced and her ex took care of all the stuff around the house. She has a dog that has so much hair and it sheds like crazy. I talked to my friend again tonight and he was telling me about how this heat thing works. We are guessing that because she didn't replace the filter and the dog sheds so much that the condenser core is probably covered in dust and dog hair. At least that's what we are hoping it is.

Everything seems to be working fine except that it doesn't stay on. When it is on I feel a nice flow of heat coming out of the vents. I hear the igniter sparking and when it lights the gas it sounds like a jet in there. I hope that cleaning the inside tomorrow will be what it needs. All I'm worried about is how hard it's going to be raining!

I REALLY appreciate the replies and helpful info! Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 01-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

so is the filter clean and if it was packed check the fins on the main fan squirrel cage they might be packed with crap..all his leads to lack of air up and thru the unit and heat cycling...check this site for items.if the ceramic is cracked on the spark ignitor it will hunt for a ground to spark away from the pilot gas.stay away from the condenser outside has nothing to do with the heat...maybe eye ball the coil above the furnace that those 2 pipes go into the EVAP COIL for dog hair/dirt if that filter was packed... http://www.bestbuyheatingandaircondi...com/pilots.htm
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
how

Rewards Points: 634

Do you have a blinking diagnostic led light that can be seen through the grill on the furnace door or an inspection port? If so, there will also be a legend on the inside door of the furnace identifying what fault the led is pointing at. Let us know what you find.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:19 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 514

Looks like it should have an LED...

Advertisement

Houston204 is offline   Reply With Quote