Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2008, 04:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New to DIY

Hello I am aklkuno1 and I am new to this forum. Presently I am having Furnace problems and am looking for someone who can give me some advice on what the problem is or could be.

Last edited by aklkuno1; 09-01-2008 at 05:00 PM.
aklkuno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #2

New to DIY

All of a sudden my furnace which is a Downflow/Upflow Electric Furnace - Models: EB Series / Model: 15B 4 speed blower. I woke up this morning and it would not come on. I discovered a 3 amp fuse had blown. I replaced the fuse and it blew again. Can anyone tell me why.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

New to DIY

Have you inspected "all" the wires and connections? Any components look funny? Do you have a tester? This is a game called try to isolate the problem.

let us know what you find... be careful ... if your not confident you know how to do this carefully..please call a local tech..

PS and welcome to the site.

Last edited by Big Bob; 09-01-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:32 PM   #4

New to DIY

Big Bob, this is her son adding to the post. I replaced the 3 amp fuse with a 5 amp to see if there was a short or overload. The fuse held, but the system did not come on and the blower relay was buzzing loudly. Earlier I had noticed that the voltage coming from the transformer was 25-26VAC instead of the expected 24VAC. The only conclusion I could come up with after looking at the wiring diagram is either the relay, the transformer or the motor capacitor is faulty. I really don't know much about heating/ac units but I do know electronics and these three part look really easy to replace.

Later, I tried turning on the fan from the thermostat, then turning on the heat then fan turned on both instances and there was a rather nasty smell with the heat on. That rules out the motor capacitor as an issue, I think. As I understand it, the fan blows slow during heating and fast during cooling. The only thing that happens when turning the thermostat to cool is a hum from the blower relay. I do have a pair of multimeters, one with a clamp tester.

Can any of you tell what the problem is from what I have described? If not, are there any (and can you describe) further troubleshooting steps to determine the actual problem or part to be replaced?
Old 09-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #5

New to DIY

I just realized I didn't answer all you questions. I have visually inspected all the wires, but not tested them all for voltage because I do not know what they're voltages should be, except for the transformer. None of the components look like they are broken or burnt out. And yes, that's what we are trying to do, isolate the problem before we have a tech come down here and spend a $65 'come down & take a look' service fee to find the problem to be really simple or be told we need a new unit when we do not. Thank you for your assistance.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:14 PM   #6

New to DIY

I have asked moderators to move this to HAVC so you can get a lot of input.

I understand your concern... techs you can trust are worth their price... when you can find them. It is always wise to be as informed as you can.

I had a bad capacitor that gave me many of the symptoms you describe.

Last edited by Big Bob; 09-02-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:08 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

New to DIY

aklkuno1, I moved your post to the HVAC forum, but if you are having a wiring problem which could cause a short circuit and a potential fire hazard, I would recommend that $ 65.00 as a very inexpensive insurance policy.

Good Luck.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:18 PM   #8

New to DIY

Thank you Ed ...for the good job you do here.

And I know you are one heck of a good roofer too.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:29 PM   #9
oops, did I do that!

Rewards Points: 250

New to DIY

So the fan comes on when the stat calls for heat, or you switch the fan setting to on right? Any weed whacking taken place out by the condensor? Are the small wires out there intact?

On the furnace terminal board, remove the small wire going to the condensor connected to the Y terminal. There will be another on the C terminal, both going out to the condensor. Only remove the wire going to the condensor from the C terminal, then try calling for cooling.

Last edited by 8 Ball; 09-02-2008 at 06:38 PM.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:00 AM   #10

New to DIY

We found the problem. In the morning, we opened the condenser and turned the unit to cool to look for the problem and it just came on. Turns out that when a new condenser was installed last year they left a loop of control wire sticking out of the case. I guess it took a year of vibrations to finally get through the insulation and short the yellow wire. Later I will have to have that wire replaced just to be safe, though I cannot see nor feel where the insulation has been breached.

I thank all of you for your help and suggestions have replied to my questions.

Thanks a bunch.