Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2009, 06:33 AM   #1
sweaty

Share |

New Condensing Unit to Match Existing Air Handler?

My rental house's heat pump condensing unit died. The air handler is a 4 year old Carrier variable speed unit, model # FK4DNF003, serial # 2604A73247. I know that, ideally, you should replace both units at once. But the air handler is very good and I would prefer to find a condensing unit that matches. Can it be done?

sweaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Carrier has new units that are rated to their older air handlers.
Call a Carrier dealer. And he should be able match you up.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:07 AM   #3
sweaty

A couple estimators told me that staying with R-22 could be a problem in a few years because the equipment will not be made after this year. Will that really be a problem or are they just trying to sell me more than I really need?

I just learned a couple things that may convince me to get a whole new high-efficiency system.

1. Carrier has $1000 rebate from March 2 until June 30.
2. Obama's stimulus package will give me a $1500 tax credit for a high-efficiency system.

This changes the economics of the situation. If this were your house, what would you do?
sweaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
HVAC / Plumbing

If you'er air handler is ok . Can't they just install a new A coil with new cond. unit ?? Or does this air handler have a flat coil ?? There will be an end to R22.. go with the R410 unit
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

R22, and the refrigerant parts for R22 units will be made for many years to come.

They're trying for a bigger sale.

Nope. I wouldn't spend as much as you will need to, to get the Carrier rebate, and that 1500 bucks.

Remember, its a tax credit. You don't benifit from it till you file taxes next year..
And, since its for a rental, and not your primary residence, I'm not sure you would qualify for it.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweaty View Post
A couple estimators told me that staying with R-22 could be a problem in a few years because the equipment will not be made after this year. Will that really be a problem or are they just trying to sell me more than I really need?

I just learned a couple things that may convince me to get a whole new high-efficiency system.

1. Carrier has $1000 rebate from March 2 until June 30.
2. Obama's stimulus package will give me a $1500 tax credit for a high-efficiency system.

This changes the economics of the situation. If this were your house, what would you do?
R22: R22 equipment will no longer be produced after 2010 and many manufacturers are converting as we speak to 410a exclusively. R22 will continue to be produced, so refrigerant for repairs will be available for several years. Expect R22 to increase in price.

REBATES: I think it all depends on how much the contractor is pricing your installation at. Rebates are hooks. If you want that equipment, they can be deals, but if it cost you $3000 more then you could get comparable equipment, then the $1000 is not a good investment. The tax credit is great, as long as the equipment that qualifies was within your price range in the first place. The good news, is that often you can use the tax credit to offset the increase in equipment price.

The Tax Credits is the dog & pony show that many wholesalers and dealers are using right now.