Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #1

Share |

New Coleman oil furnace, won't stop running

Just installed new Coleman oil furnace (with ability to add AC unit), and installed new Honeywell nonprogrammable thermostat. The furnace works fine but does not stop running when set temperature is reached. We are stopping the furnace by turning the switch to off on the thermostat. Installer seems unsure what may be wrong, has said "maybe bad thermostat, maybe wrong wiring, don't know..." If any ideas, would be most grateful to have a direction to go in. Thank you so much.

Loni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

does the fan keep running or the burners stay on ?.. Sounds like it's wired wrong

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
does the fan keep running or the burners stay on ?.. Sounds like it's wired wrong
Yes, the fan/burner continues to run and blow out hot air continuously until we hit the switch (and it is usually too hot to stay in the house at that point). When we turn the switch to the "off" position, you can hear the burner stop but the fan continues until done and then the system shuts off. This seems entirely normal except for the part where the system completely ignores the set temperature and actual room temperature. One more thing, don't know if it's important or not, after turned on now 3 or 4 times, we are getting overwhelming fumes in the house. A new roof jack was, of course, installed, but unsure if important to the issue and whether this is normal or not.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Sounds like you need a new installer or get him to send a service tech at his cost. Not something we can talk you thru. The fumes part is a SERIOUS danger issue if it is not burning properly it can produce CO Carbon monoxide and kill you. Not something you can fix and he needs to be competent to set it up properly and wire it properly. Need special tools/combustion analyzer to set it up properly.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Shouldn't be too hard for the installing contractor to figure out why it keeps running. If he comes out.

Roof jack may not be installed right, or you could have other serious problems. Call him back out, before you become sick, or worse from those fumes.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:25 PM   #6

BeenThere & Yuri - thank you very much for taking the time to respond. The CO concern is noted and we're not turning it back on until we get answers. I'm the most sensitive in the house and was sickened right away by the fumes, so rest assured, it's going to get taken care of. Hopefully, the T-stat or turning off problem is something simple. I will post a followup when we work through this and let you know what happened. Again, my sincere thanks.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
Wire Chewer

Sounds like they just got some wires mixed up. If you pull the thermostat, how many wires are there and how are they connected?

There's a possibility the thermostat itself is bad too, maybe the temp sensor in it is not actually sensing properly. Since it's not programmable the "sensor" may be mechanical, but that can still go wrong. May be more obvious to see the problem if you open it up too. I would try to rule out the thermostat first then go from there.

But the fumes thing, I'd get a good hvac person out for that. When life could be in danger, that's usually where I draw the line as far as DIY goes. :P
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Since its a new install. I advise against messing with anything until the fumes are corrected. And after the installer corrects that. Its best to let him fix the not stopping problem. So the OP doesn't end up with teh installer saying that he caused the problem. And then decide not to work on it for the OP.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #9
Wire Chewer

Yeah good point and it's probably still under warranty anyway, at least I would hope.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Since he said, "just installed". I'm guessing its under full warranty.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #11
HVAC / Plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Since he said, "just installed". I'm guessing its under full warranty.

Scary part is, she says he doesn't know what's wrong with it & she is smelling fumes
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #12
Hvac Pro

Its a wonder more people don't die from CO poisoning with all the hackers out there.

The general public does not understand combustion unfortunately.