New Central A/C - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2007, 10:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Central A/C

What are your opinions on the new type of A/C versus the R 22 freon type?

Advertisement

fixitnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 528

New Central A/C

I think there's a glitch in these new systems that use "Puron".
My "Bryant" system AC was replaced two years ago and this season I discovered that the two speed compressor is hung up on low speed and will not automatically go into high speed when high temperatures exist outside. It can be done manually but that is not acceptable.
There is a staging timer that prevents a higher stage from kicking in until a low stage has operated for 10 to 20 minutes. But when we had a heat wave of 95 degrees plus, the high stage would not kick in. I believe this is defective.
And I don't believe I should have to deal with prior histories of operation that develop a memory that affects and keeps it in low stage. (This is what the factory would have me believe.) I ask the serviceman, then how do I erase past history, so that I can start anew? He replied "You can't erase it"
Now I know bull when I hear it. But not from the serviceman because he is only passing on information to me from the factory, unless he has prior knowledge of this problem with Bryant equipment.
There is an expected heat wave this weekend in the northeast and I do not believe my system will correct itself. So if the problem still exist, my next step is a complaint to the state attorney general and other consumer agencies.
These "Puron" systems are new and will eventually be installed by everyone as a replacement for the "Freon" systems.

Advertisement

rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:38 PM   #3
Union HVAC Tech.

Rewards Points: 500

New Central A/C

Puron is still a flourocarbon refrigerant it is a 50/50 mix of R-32 and R-125 (which is R-502). It's just Carrier bs that it is so much different than other flurocarbons. Don't count on everyone going over to Puron anytime soon.
bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 528

New Central A/C

BigmikeB,
I am hearing stories that the freon 22 will be scarce and get expensive I think after 2010. What's your take on this?
rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:11 PM   #5
Union HVAC Tech.

Rewards Points: 500

New Central A/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjordan392 View Post
BigmikeB,
I am hearing stories that the freon 22 will be scarce and get expensive I think after 2010. What's your take on this?
There will be plenty of R22 around, there is plenty in storage all over the place. Then there is the info that most of the original signers of the Montreal Protocol are backing out of the agreement. There was a ton of bs that pushed many of the "Freon" laws into effect. There were profits to be made from the prices going up and from all the taxes. Someday in the future it will all be the subject of the novel " The great freon conspiracy of the millenium".
bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote