Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2009, 12:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

New Central Air Compressor Problem

Have a painful York system, only 3 seasons old, that I regret putting in as it has leaked coolant in the past. Having a new problem as this cooling season ends, and wanted to ask for input before I call the HVAC person.

Simply put, the outside compressor keeps turning off and restarting, sometimes very frequently like every minute or so, in the middle of a cooling cycle (while the inside blower keeps running normally). Each starting attempt seems to sound noisier than usual. Just trying to get some basic understanding...thank you!

Larsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:32 AM   #2
Tired & Dirty

yup, what biggles said.

Last edited by evapman; 09-27-2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: not enough info in reply
evapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:45 AM   #3

Thanks for your quick response! Forgive this ignorant follow-up question, but I want to be sure I understand: what you're telling me is simply that if there is still a leak in my system and enough of the refrigerant has leaked out, the low refrigerant pressure could be causing the constant on-off behavior of the outside compressor?
Larsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:25 AM   #4

the system equalizes the pressure in the off cycle then when the stat calls the pressures change.the compressor is looking for the suction freon coming back from the air handler and as it pulls(on a short charge) the low pressure safty trips...then the unit equalizes its pressure and cycles back on.you need a good leak check with nitrogen..pump it up to 300 lbs and have a good tech check all the piping,evap and condenser.keep and eye out for any oil residue on the piping or black insulation.when freon leaks out so does oil that is carried around the system by the gas.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #5

The compressor is cycling on and off because something is wrong. Why? Who knows, but the reason for the awful noise is because the pressures haven't equalized. This is real hard on the compressor. You should get help before the compressor breaks down.
Flashheatingand is offline   Reply With Quote