Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

New Carrier Furnace and A/C

I am diy over my head on this project so am having an expert take on project of replacing our furnace and ac. I also realize this is a busy time of year but I was hoping to obtain some feedback on two Carrier Performance Series furnace and ac units and their respective costs. I try to do a lot of research on my own but this is a field where I have no experience and the amount of options and information is overwhelming and therefore, would greatly appreciate any insight.

My HVAC gentleman prepared 3 estimates, good, better and best. i am looking at the better option. Below are the quotes I received for the better and best options:

OPTION 1 - BETTER:
24ABC630A003 AC 16 SEER
59SP5A060E 96% Efficient Gas Furnace
Programmable Thermostat
Copper Line Set
PAD
Whip
Disconnect
PVC
Sheet Metal
Labor
TOTAL: $6065 with $400 tax credit
WITH HEAT PUMP: ADD $600 with a $500 tax credit.

OPTION 2 - BEST
24ANB736A003 AC 17 SEER
59MN7A060VI7-14 9% Efficient Gas Furnace
Copper Line Set
PAD
Whip
Disconnect
PVC
Sheet Metal
Labor
TOTAL: $10,060 with $400 tax credit
$1,000 REBATE WITH AC
$1,100 REBATE HEAT PUMP

The estimates seemed a little high, but perhaps I am naive and already stretched financially. I have no problem paying a fair price for good work and integrity as I respect both immensely. Also, I really don't know if a heat pump is a good investment and would also appreciate advice on the purchase of one for the midwest area. I live in a smaller town outside of Omaha so have no way to get an additional Carrier quote to compare. Own a Trane, but owner of company has changed and service has been very poor since that transition so don't want to purchase from them.

Thanks so much for any, and all help!
Monica

OmahaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

The first question is what do you have in the house now. The second would be, did they do a Manual J & D to determine how the unit will perform with your house. Not considering the A/C, but just the heat portion 94-96% is pretty good. Going with a Heat Pump, really determines on where you live, and the cost of utilities. Also the other factor will be, how deep is your pocket book, and can you afford the install without having to take out a loan and giving up a arm and a leg to pay for it.

Get more than one company's estimate and make sure that they all do a Manual J & D, and if possible, if you have not had a Blower door test done, get that done before you get the new unit installed.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaGirl View Post
I am diy over my head on this project so am having an expert take on project of replacing our furnace and ac. I also realize this is a busy time of year but I was hoping to obtain some feedback on two Carrier Performance Series furnace and ac units and their respective costs. I try to do a lot of research on my own but this is a field where I have no experience and the amount of options and information is overwhelming and therefore, would greatly appreciate any insight.

My HVAC gentleman prepared 3 estimates, good, better and best. i am looking at the better option. Below are the quotes I received for the better and best options:

OPTION 1 - BETTER:
24ABC630A003 AC 16 SEER
59SP5A060E 96% Efficient Gas Furnace
Programmable Thermostat
Copper Line Set
PAD
Whip
Disconnect
PVC
Sheet Metal
Labor
TOTAL: $6065 with $400 tax credit

OPTION 2 - BEST
24ANB736A003 AC 17 SEER
59MN7A060VI7-14 9% Efficient Gas Furnace
Copper Line Set
PAD
Whip
Disconnect
PVC
Sheet Metal
Labor
TOTAL: $10,060 with $400 tax credit
$1,000 REBATE WITH AC
$1,100 REBATE HEAT PUMP

The estimates seemed a little high, but perhaps I am naive and already stretched financially. I have no problem paying a fair price for good work and integrity as I respect both immensely. Also, I really don't know if a heat pump is a good investment and would also appreciate advice on the purchase of one for the midwest area. I live in a smaller town outside of Omaha so have no way to get an additional Carrier quote to compare. Own a Trane, but owner of company has changed and service has been very poor since that transition so don't want to purchase from them.

Thanks so much for any, and all help!
Monica
dont go carrier...............call a Lennox dealer
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

harleyrider, it really does not matter what they buy, the unit is as good as the person/company installing. What does matter, is that they are going to get a good unit for the money invested, and that the company will stand behind their work.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
harleyrider, it really does not matter what they buy, the unit is as good as the person/company installing. What does matter, is that they are going to get a good unit for the money invested, and that the company will stand behind their work.

I agree 100%...SO I SAY AGAIN...... buy Lennox not carrier. why? Lennox dealers are held to a higher standard.Do I work for a Lennox dealer.....not currently,do I own a lennox ....yes, am I being paid by Lennox to promote them....no, so see I am a proud Lennox owner who previously had Carrier. Dollar for dollar Lennox is a superior product.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #6

I'm in Lincoln Monica. Heat pumps are worth the extra cost in our area of the US. Mine is a Lennox xp19 which is also a two stage.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider View Post
I agree 100%...SO I SAY AGAIN...... buy Lennox not carrier. why? Lennox dealers are held to a higher standard.Do I work for a Lennox dealer.....not currently,do I own a lennox ....yes, am I being paid by Lennox to promote them....no, so see I am a proud Lennox owner who previously had Carrier. Dollar for dollar Lennox is a superior product.
Really, and where did you hear this? Are you a Lennox dealer? Sorry, but the dealer that installed our Lennox Signature series, if it was not for the fact that we had won it, due to the oldest furnace, I would have never gone with them. They are overpriced, compared to the other Lennox dealer that also installs Carrier units, and shortly after they installed our unit, they changed ownership, and fired all of their techs. Their service quality went downhill after that, and you ask anyone in our area, they will tell you to go with the other company. And not because Lennox holds them to a better standard, it is because the other company stands behind their work, no matter what the manufacturer is, that they work on, or install.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Really, and where did you hear this? Are you a Lennox dealer? Sorry, but the dealer that installed our Lennox Signature series, if it was not for the fact that we had won it, due to the oldest furnace, I would have never gone with them. They are overpriced, compared to the other Lennox dealer that also installs Carrier units, and shortly after they installed our unit, they changed ownership, and fired all of their techs. Their service quality went downhill after that, and you ask anyone in our area, they will tell you to go with the other company. And not because Lennox holds them to a better standard, it is because the other company stands behind their work, no matter what the manufacturer is, that they work on, or install.
did u even read my post!?
Old 11-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
did u even read my post!?
Yes, and you never answered my question. Let the other person decide what they want. As I stated before, if the company stands behind their work, and will make sure that the Manual J & manual D is done, so that the proper unit is installed, instead of something that is oversized or undersized.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Yes, and you never answered my question. Let the other person decide what they want. As I stated before, if the company stands behind their work, and will make sure that the Manual J & manual D is done, so that the proper unit is installed, instead of something that is oversized or undersized.
j and d are a joke......why u ask.....because they give a specific btu......how many houses have you seen that need exactly 80,000 btu;s ? haw many houses have you seen that need exactly the btu's that come in a STANDARD FURNACE PACKAGE? The correct answer is ZERO !A MODULATING OR EVEN A TWO SATGE is the corect answer........
Old 11-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Again, let the OP decide on what unit they need. And as for your assumption that a Manual J & D are a joke, is only in your mind. They are there to help get the system sized for the structure and the use of that structure. You may think that those two manuals are for just door stops, or should sit on a shelf and collect dust, but they are the deal breakers in a system that is sized properly, and one that is either undersized or oversized.

And also, your assumption that a two stage or modulating is correct, does not always fit the use. Not ever situation is going to warrant a modulating or multi-stage hvac system. As stated before, every situation is different.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:51 PM   #12
REP

The fact is that you could buy the best equipment on earth and if it isn't sized correctly you will either over pay each month or you won't be comfortable durning the worst weather.That includes 2 stage modulating.
I'll bet you still set up oil burners by your eye,what a joke.
Then after you get the correct size of the most amazing equipment on earth,you have to know that the air which you are paying to condition gets to and from the areas in your house effienciently and correctly.
This is the 21 century .People should realize that there is a right way and a wrong way to do things.
A manuel "J" and a manuel "D" are minimum requirements in todays world not the fancy way to do things.
The result of being extremely lazy and not doing them will cost a prety penny every month for the next twenty years,unless of course you think fuel costs will be coming down anytime soon.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:42 AM   #13

Monica: I know zip about the tech part of HVAC, but as a consumer I was in your boat in September. I don't know about manual J and such , but I'm with Greg on this one. You could purchase the best equipment but if the installer is a fool then what?

Last year I had three quotes done Carrier, Bryant and Lennox. At the time I needed a hot water tank also, which was to be installed some months prior Lennox was significantly less expensive. All went well until 3 weeks in and the diptube fell off ( which is how I found this site). The Lennox installer was rude and even abusive and a huge problem ensued getting the darn thing fixed. Needless to say he lost the bid for the furnace.

So, lesson learned. The next installers both promised a 10 year parts and labour warranty. I told them both I was interviewing others and they both reduced their prices, short of doing it on a volunteer basis.

I understand that Carrier and Bryant are pretty much the same product. I went with the Bryant preferred plus 95i. I could not be happier. The house warms up in no time if I turn it down for the day or night. Since the install I've kept the fan running 24 hrs just for air circulation in the basement and it has not affected my hydro bill at all, except perhaps in a postive way as this furnace fan uses minimal electricity.

Good luck I hope you find a good installer and remember to pit them against each other.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #14

Question

Quote:
SO I SAY AGAIN...... buy Lennox not carrier. why? Lennox dealers are held to a higher standard.Do I work for a Lennox dealer.....not currently,do I own a lennox ....yes, am I being paid by Lennox to promote them....no, so see I am a proud Lennox owner who previously had Carrier. Dollar for dollar Lennox is a superior product.
I have no brand loyalty and I'm not seeking to argue with your statements (I don't really have sufficient knowledge or well informed opinion to be able to even consider doing so), but I don't see any real substance provided here to back up your statements. More specifically...

1. What exactly do you mean when you say that "Lennox dealers are held to a higher standard"??? How so, exactly???

2. "Dollar for dollar Lennox is a superior product". Why do you say that, exactly? How is Lennox "superior", exactly and specifically?

You've made some pretty strong claims here and they may be true, but you haven't provided any facts or anything else to actually support or back up your assertions.

So.......where's the beef????
Lita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
Part of the Clover Leaf

This is an old thread. Why are you arguing with a guy who is no longer here?

hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote