Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

New A/C Unit

I am planning on adding a 'window' a/c unit in my garage this next weekend. I live in Phoenix and it's ridiculously hot.

My question is: I have these 'grates' in my garage and I don't know what they are for. I imagine it's for air exchange but if I add a window unit, wouldn't I cover these up? If that is so, would I cover them from in or outside? Attached is a photo.

Second question: Since there is no window in my home at this point, how do I make a waterproof sill for the a/c unit? Or would it be better to install a window so I can remove the unit/replace the unit if needed?

Thanks

lendosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,714

New A/C Unit

Don't get a window unit. Get a thru the wall unit.

Don't see a pic.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #3

New A/C Unit

What is the difference between a window unit and a thru the wall unit? Why is one unit better than the other? Keep in mind I have a window unit from my old place so using it will keep costs down.

Oops, I guess the picture didn't attach.

and rotate that photo 90 degrees clockwise. Keep in mind that there is a second 'vent' near the foundation.
Attached Thumbnails
New A/C Unit-photo.jpg  

Last edited by lendosky; 03-13-2012 at 10:37 PM. Reason: oops
Old 03-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 260

New A/C Unit

The vents are city code, so you can not die of co2 poisoning inorder to keep the heat out, you will need to close them off, but that will be a code violation...your call on that one. As to the window unit in a wall, its done all the time. Just measure, cut and frame the opening. It is easier with a through the wall unit, but its not really hard. The biggest issue you will have is that it will tje ohrs to cool the garage with an ac unit......i have seen it done, but even with an 18000 btu unit it takes awhile. I personally use a roll around evap cooler..nothing like 3500 cfm of cold air blowing on you in the phoenix summer!!!!! The evaps are big, but worth it!!!!!!!!
bobinphx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:18 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,714

New A/C Unit

Window units ae made for windows an wall units are made for walls. Biggest difference is wall units have heir own casement to make it easier to service.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #6

New A/C Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinphx View Post
The vents are city code, so you can not die of co2 poisoning inorder to keep the heat out, you will need to close them off, but that will be a code violation...your call on that one. As to the window unit in a wall, its done all the time. Just measure, cut and frame the opening. It is easier with a through the wall unit, but its not really hard. The biggest issue you will have is that it will tje ohrs to cool the garage with an ac unit......i have seen it done, but even with an 18000 btu unit it takes awhile. I personally use a roll around evap cooler..nothing like 3500 cfm of cold air blowing on you in the phoenix summer!!!!! The evaps are big, but worth it!!!!!!!!
My garage is shaded, insulated and only reaches max 95 in the hottest summer temps. For Phoenix, that's pretty good IMO.

I have some questions about the vent/code things. I have no cars in my garage anymore. The only 'questionable' items I have are some chemicals, some mixed gas and a gas water heater. Will any of those items present a hazard?

I'm still confused as to the difference between a window and through the wall air conditioner but no worries.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 260

New A/C Unit

Gas, oil, chemicals are a danger if the fume level gets high enough. contact the city for more info.

Window and wall ac units are the same. The only difference, as far as I know is that the wall units have a metal box that you install in the wall so that the air conditioner can slide in and out, for service etc, very easy.

What part of town are you in?????
bobinphx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
Part of the Clover Leaf

Rewards Points: 500

New A/C Unit

Window units can be pulled from their casing too, when they need service.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #9

New A/C Unit

I'm in west Phoenix. City of Phoenix.

How can I monitor fume levels? With a carbon monoxide detector or something similar?