New Boiler - Not Sure What Model To Buy??? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2007, 09:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Boiler - Not sure what model to buy???

Hello,

I am going through a complete renovation in the house and changing the heating system from Steam to Hot Water.

Can anyone suggest what model would be best? I am not looking for highest efficiency, something in the midrange - mid to high 80's should be enough. So far I am undecided about 3 brands, Pennco, Williamson or Weil-Mclain.

Pennco comes out to be the cheapest, the local plumbing store sells it for about $1,100 for 145K Btu. Did anyone had any bad experience with Pennco boilers?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Arthur

Advertisement

art2670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Rewards Points: 500

Hi art2670

As you know the cost of home heating fuel is not going down. Don't waste your time or money on a 80% anything. You will be able to have a low upfront cost, but the utility company will love you this winter. Look into the Dunkirk Q90 & Q95, see if you can afford this boiler. I know the fuel cost is going to be much more affordable. Here's you a shortcut to their website www.dunkirk.com.

Good luck, spend your money once.
Rusty

Advertisement

Old 05-12-2007, 12:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hi Rusty,

Thanks for your input.

I looked up the boilers from Dunkirk and see that the Q95-200 is considerably more expensive than other high efficiency boilers, i.e. Weill-Mclain, Trinity etc.

Initially I was strongly considering high efficiency boiler, however changed my mind after reading some articles about how the high efficiency boilers may not be as reliable as old fashioned, more simpler versions. The articles seemed to suggest that all of the new technology packed in the boiler causes it to fail often and expensive to maintain.

Are Dunkirk boilers reliable? I guess, now that I have seen at least one opinion for the high efficiency boilers, I will give it some thought again.

Thanks again,
art2670 is offline   Reply With Quote