Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #1

Share |

New 410a condenser with old coil....

Hey all, any recommendations here are appreciated. I have decided to replace my 19 year old 5 ton condenser with a Goodman 5 ton 14 SEER (410a). I currently have an Aspen evaporator coil that is 410a compatible and is only 3 years old. All of the contractors that I have spoken with said I will be fine if I just replace the condenser and leave the evaporator coil. One contractor told me, however, that you cannot put 410a into a coil that has already had 22 in it. He said it will not work properly and will void the warranty on the condenser, even once it is flushed. What gives? Can I add the new condenser to the current evaporator, like all the others said?

simeltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeltzer View Post
Hey all, any recommendations here are appreciated. I have decided to replace my 19 year old 5 ton condenser with a Goodman 5 ton 14 SEER (410a). I currently have an Aspen evaporator coil that is 410a compatible and is only 3 years old. All of the contractors that I have spoken with said I will be fine if I just replace the condenser and leave the evaporator coil. One contractor told me, however, that you cannot put 410a into a coil that has already had 22 in it. He said it will not work properly and will void the warranty on the condenser, even once it is flushed. What gives? Can I add the new condenser to the current evaporator, like all the others said?
if you remove condenser r-22...run flush kit to flush out lines...and if ther are of proper size..there should be know problems... only you may need to change orifice....vac check and charge...good to go..

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
HVAC Tech/Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
if you remove condenser r-22...run flush kit to flush out lines...and if ther are of proper size..there should be know problems... only you may need to change orifice....vac check and charge...good to go..

Have you used those flush kits? (they have almost NO VOLUME) Do you think that flush gets everywhere thru the indoor coil? I don't and that's why I never recommend leaving an r22 coil. Flushing linesets is another story-I can blow anything out of a tube.
Technow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:04 PM   #4

I concure.... for the cost of the coil do it right... .... short cuts cost lots of money.... doing it right costs money as well.. usually less than short cuts.... will it work... probably ..would I do it ... never
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

might want to find out from Aspen if that coil is a match for your 14 SEER condenser. If not, might as well get a 13 SEER condenser.

I don't use a flushing chemical. I just use nitrogen. An R410A compressor that has 64 oz of POE oil, can have 3 ounces of Min oil mixed with it without harm to the system or compressor.

I have no intention of telling any customer that they have to replace a 3 to 5 year old evap coil to get a R410A condenser installed.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (06-01-2012), evapman (06-01-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
might want to find out from Aspen if that coil is a match for your 14 SEER condenser. If not, might as well get a 13 SEER condenser.

I don't use a flushing chemical. I just use nitrogen. An R410A compressor that has 64 oz of POE oil, can have 3 ounces of Min oil mixed with it without harm to the system or compressor.

I have no intention of telling any customer that they have to replace a 3 to 5 year old evap coil to get a R410A condenser installed.
Beenthere you are a extremely smart person..... I diss agree with you on this issue....
Old 05-31-2012, 08:44 PM   #7

oh ya for got to mention.... zero warranty on condensing unit in my province if coil not changed.... what does that tell ya....
Old 05-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Haven't changed out a new coil yet, just because they are now getting an R410A condenser. How many years is it suppose to take before what little Min oil is left is suppose to do whatever harm its suppose to do? Guessing more then 3.

A lot of ice machines and walk ins in the 90s were converted over to 404A when their compressors died. And not all the Min oil was remove from those evaps or condensers. Those compressors didn't die.

Anyone that doesn't feel comfortable doing it. Should stick to their guns and not do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (06-01-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmon View Post
oh ya for got to mention.... zero warranty on condensing unit in my province if coil not changed.... what does that tell ya....
Strange thing is. Here, Ducane is the only one that MUST have the evap coil model and serial number on a compressor warranty.
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 08:56 PM   #10

I agree with all your comments.... we sell a lot of Lennox and we must have coil info.... It will work I do not really dispute that part.... its just the warranty issue.. 410 condenser old r-22 coil ...drive truck off driveway warranty over...
The Following User Says Thank You to carmon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technow View Post
Have you used those flush kits? (they have almost NO VOLUME) Do you think that flush gets everywhere thru the indoor coil? I don't and that's why I never recommend leaving an r22 coil. Flushing linesets is another story-I can blow anything out of a tube.
really don't know if it truly gets everywhere in the coil... but its approved to perform and install 410a ....his coil is 410 compatiable 3-5 yrs old....not a short cut just good business practice... ben....as mentioned if you don't believe in it don't do it..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
Technow (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
If it's free...It's me

Contact Goodman and give them the make and model of the evaporator coil and ask if it is compatible with the Goodman model condenser. If it is, ask if using it will cause any warranty issues with the condenser. Then ask if it matters if the old system was r-22 (or don't).
Johnny'sHotDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #13

How about just getting a nitrogen charged unit. Also the fact that the coil and condenser aren't a match keep costs down stay to 13 seer as the indoor coil has a lot to do with seer rating . But if you go to r410 make sure that all parts have a higher burst pressure even the dryer.
nunesent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:51 AM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny'sHotDogs View Post
Contact Goodman and give them the make and model of the evaporator coil and ask if it is compatible with the Goodman model condenser. If it is, ask if using it will cause any warranty issues with the condenser. Then ask if it matters if the old system was r-22 (or don't).
Goodman, like all other manufacturers don't test their condensers with third party coils. Aspen would be the one that can say if their coil is suppose to be compatible with that condenser or not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (06-02-2012), Johnny'sHotDogs (06-02-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #15

Thx a lot for all of the opinions. I will probably look into both manufacturers and see what I can find out.

simeltzer is offline   Reply With Quote