Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #1

Share |

New 22' Trunk Line

I would like to move the furnace to the other side of our basement.

The dampers are built into trunks(each supply and return is 22'). As such the trunks need to be replaced.

I got a quote to replace the furnace, trunks and AC. Each with a separate line item.

I'm having a problem swallowing the trunk install. To me it seems high( I don't think I can mention the price here).

I'm thinking of doing the trunk install myself. Does anyone have a good resource on how to install duct work?

unixb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:47 AM   #2

New 22' Trunk Line

What are your opinions on this DVD
http://www.ductworks.net/xcart/home.php?js=y

Old 03-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #3

New 22' Trunk Line

or this
http://www.alpinehomeair.com/installVideos.cfm

I'm also going to be replacing the the furnace. I would like to keep the AC however it seems to me that I might have to buy a new coil for the furnace. I'm wondering where the coil part number is located. Right now, I can't get to the coil.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #4

New 22' Trunk Line

I dont know about either of those links.

I did upgrade my main trunk for both supply and return, not something I really want to do again. Was a lot of work and took two guys many hours to do the project. My supply trunk was about 50' long and my return was about 30'.

My thread can be found: HVAC - Airflow Issue

If you have a lot of takeoffs, getting them cut in the exact spot again and sealed will be very time consuming.
If you plan on using hand cutters to cut them in, find some thick gloves, otherwise, plan on having cut up hands.

Is your furnace in the middle now? What is the size of your current trunk, what about your return trunk?
What is the size of your furnace? How many takeoffs? Any photos?

Is this an oil or gas furnace?
Old 03-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #5

New 22' Trunk Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF View Post
I dont know about either of those links.

I did upgrade my main trunk for both supply and return, not something I really want to do again. Was a lot of work and took two guys many hours to do the project. My supply trunk was about 50' long and my return was about 30'.

My thread can be found: HVAC - Airflow Issue

If you have a lot of takeoffs, getting them cut in the exact spot again and sealed will be very time consuming.
People have quoted several thousand the do the work.

Quote:
If you plan on using hand cutters to cut them in, find some thick gloves, otherwise, plan on having cut up hands.
I was planning on getting an electric shear ($90) and ebaying it after the project is complete. Thanks for the info on the gloves.

Quote:
Is your furnace in the middle now?
That the other end of the basement

crappy diagram would be:
---a------------------b---

Moving from a to b

Quote:
What is the size of your current trunk, what about your return trunk?
It's staggered from "wide" at the furnace end to small at the other end. I have to get the replacement duct/furnace sized.

Quote:
What is the size of your furnace?
100,000BTU is the current furnace.

Quote:
How many takeoffs?
There will be 9 or 10 Takeoffs

Quote:
Any photos?
Not yet. Maybe someday
Quote:
Is this an oil or gas furnace?
Natural Gas. Where I'm moving the furnace to is the location of where the gas line comes into the house.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:44 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

New 22' Trunk Line

What size is your A/C, and is it the right size. Just because it cools the house, doesn't mean its not oversized.
What size furnace do you really need.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

New 22' Trunk Line

Sizing ductwork is more complicated than most people realize,ive been in the trades many years and even I tend to leave that part of the job to my tinner.
Attached Thumbnails
New 22' Trunk Line-cartoom-manga_61.jpg  
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #8

New 22' Trunk Line

I have another related question. I'm thinking of getting a Rudd modulating furnace.

Reading the spec sheet I noticed "Optional indoor or outdoor combustion air".

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using combustion air from outdoors or indoors? Is it just a mater of temp rise requirements?
Old 05-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

New 22' Trunk Line

Outside comustion air i cleaner then inside.

When you use inside combustion air. You end up drawing in cold dry air into the house. And lower the humidity of the house. Causing you to either have to have a dehumidifier, or tolerate the dryness.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #10

New 22' Trunk Line

I suppose it would be too much to hope for that you could reverse the existing trunks and that at least some of takeoffs would line up.
jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #11
Jack of all master of sum

New 22' Trunk Line

Sizing duct is bit more involved, depending on the need for offsets, risers, 45*,90* ect.. But far as installing the duct work goes, it's not all that difficult really,

"S" cleats are for the top and bottom of duct, Drive cleats are for the sides, Bend the Short side of duct 1\2 " for drive cleats, take your measurements from the 1\2 " fold for overall length of duct section, and take offs. Don't put any take offs in fittings such as reducers or 90*, 45*. Cut your duct before you snap it together with a pair of bulldogs, you'll have to knotch out the button lock and the 4 corners 1" notch on field cuts for your "S" cleat to fit.

Make up a template from the take off's or just place them on the "snapped together" duct where they need to be and mark in the 4 corners of the take off, get a good blade screw driver and hammer a slice diagonally across the cut out for the take off, grab Red= Left cut, Green= Right cut Yellow = straight cut snipes and cut it out.

Last edited by BobCaygeon; 05-17-2010 at 10:35 PM. Reason: oops !
BobCaygeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:02 AM   #12

New 22' Trunk Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixb0y View Post
I have another related question. I'm thinking of getting a Rudd modulating furnace.

Reading the spec sheet I noticed "Optional indoor or outdoor combustion air".

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using combustion air from outdoors or indoors? Is it just a mater of temp rise requirements?
You are one brave man sizing duct work for the most temperamental style of furnace when it comes to air flow.

I don't wish you ill but you WILL have uneven temps if you don't use a pro who has had some trail and error experience with a mod furnace.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #13

New 22' Trunk Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
You are one brave man sizing duct work for the most temperamental style of furnace when it comes to air flow.

I don't wish you ill but you WILL have uneven temps if you don't use a pro who has had some trail and error experience with a mod furnace.
Well I have not purchased anything yet. So for the time being, I'm not tied to anything.

The HVAC person connecting the gas/vent recomended a mod. I guess I did not think it as temperamental but that does make sense.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #14

New 22' Trunk Line

Google Malco HC1. That's what you want to use to make the take off holes. With an electric drill and that tool each hole will take you less then 30 seconds. Measure and cut the holes before you hang each piece of duct.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:34 AM   #15

New 22' Trunk Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
Google Malco HC1. That's what you want to use to make the take off holes. With an electric drill and that tool each hole will take you less then 30 seconds. Measure and cut the holes before you hang each piece of duct.
~snicker~ only guys who can't cut round holes use those. And there is a learning curve to overcome so for a one time installation I would not recommend it.

Last edited by hvaclover; 05-19-2010 at 02:37 AM.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote