Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2014, 05:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Nest Thermostat Install

What could I possibly be doing wrong- it won't power up. Red - W, black Rh. Steam radiators....works fine if I hook the old one back up. Plugged nest in to USB to try and charge- it boots up and says to connect to base.

kjmass1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:18 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,380

Nest Thermostat Install

Read the instructions, usually needs another wire called C which goes to the power transformer of the boiler.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,188

Nest Thermostat Install

don't think you need the c terminal for the 1st generation nest...make sure the 24 volt wire connects to the r terminal...other wire to w
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #4

Nest Thermostat Install

Common wire isn't needed on this installation per their website. Tried reversing the wires nothing happened.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,226

Nest Thermostat Install

Nest has the instructions on their site how to set it up with a boiler. Read the book. They also have a forum for help on their site.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #6

Nest Thermostat Install

The booklet essentially says match the wires to existing thermostat.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:57 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Nest Thermostat Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmass1 View Post
Common wire isn't needed on this installation per their website. Tried reversing the wires nothing happened.
Do you see the part that the 1st gen has issues with your type of setup. There is an installer mode, but may not properly work in your case.

Suggest contacting them. Their help line rep's are really knowledgeable and can help dig anyone out of problems. I have had to deal with them on three Nest Protects that were having issues. Two replaced, the other was due to false alerts. They know what they are doing, so make the call.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 04-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #8
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,002

Nest Thermostat Install

While it may say that it doesn't need C... it very often does need C to operate properly.
Chris130 (04-28-2014), Technow (04-29-2014), yuri (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,188

Nest Thermostat Install

could you have blown a fuse..??
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:57 PM   #10
Hvac Pro

Nest Thermostat Install

I went to their site and it is a bit vague. It says that on SOME zoned or hydronic valved systems it may need a C wire. Basically it is a power robbing/stealing thermostat and I dislike them and have had lots of problems with any brand of them . NOT a good idea and the C wire is always recommended.
hvactech126 (04-28-2014), Technow (04-29-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 07:43 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Nest Thermostat Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmass1 View Post
The booklet essentially says match the wires to existing thermostat.
That is not the case in your situation.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:43 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Nest Thermostat Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
I went to their site and it is a bit vague. It says that on SOME zoned or hydronic valved systems it may need a C wire. Basically it is a power robbing/stealing thermostat and I dislike them and have had lots of problems with any brand of them . NOT a good idea and the C wire is always recommended.
Yes on some systems you need to supply 24vAC to keep it powered. Otherwise the batteries will go dead on the thermostat. Their site is not vague. All of the info is on there if you look.

The problem is not with the Nest Yuri. It is trying to do something that Nest states very clearly that you cannot do with their equipment at this stage. There is an installer screen, that allows you to do certain changes. The 2nd gen is the better one to get. The next gen is supposed to be even better. Due to certain improvements and lessons learned over the past two years.

Last edited by gregzoll; 04-28-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #13
Hvac Pro

Nest Thermostat Install

I have no problem as long as C is used. W/O it power stealing stats of ANY brand can damage circuit boards and with the mod furnaces you don't want to even go there. Not good industry practice to not use a C wire but in the DIY world and for profit from these manufacturers anything goes.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

Nest Thermostat Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
I have no problem as long as C is used. W/O it power stealing stats of ANY brand can damage circuit boards and with the mod furnaces you don't want to even go there. Not good industry practice to not use a C wire but in the DIY world and for profit from these manufacturers anything goes.
Yes you should not be stealing power from while the unit is running. But you are talking about people that do not know a Crescent Wrench from a Hammer, or a Phillips head screwdriver from a Flathead.

Every thermostat out there, including Nest now. States on the packaging that C is required for proper operation of the unit. Nest has learned a lot over the past three years of jumping into an area that the ownership saw as a niche market.

That is one reason why I went with wired Nest Protects, vs. the Battery operated only units. I personally do not feel like dealing with batteries going out after two to three years. It is bad enough that the one in my son's room goes off every now and then, due to current flow from the register below it. I have done everything to stop false alerts, but you just deal with it when it happens.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #15

Nest Thermostat Install

Thanks for everyones feedback...it seemed too easy.

It seems like the consensus is that it should work w/o a Common wire, but not recommended. It will only be used for heat during the winter.

Does anyone know if I go with one of the installers off the Nest website, will they run a common wire for me?

Is hooking up a common wire something I could do myself?