Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #1

Share |

Nest compatibility - Extra wire makes my furnace non-compatible?

Hope someone can answer this question.

My current thermostat has 5 wires: G, Rc, Y, W and 4.

On the Nest website they say my system is not compatible. After trying a different combination I found out that the reason for this is the wire with the number 4. In the nest compatibility test I had to open up a panel that said "more", since this type of wire wasn't even displayed when the Nest compatibility tester thing first appeared. The checkbox name is actually 1,2,3,4.

Does anyone know what this wire labeled as "4" is for? Could I somehow find a workaround for this? I have a gas furnace (Lennox g26 series, but I could get more specific if needed) and an AC (KeepRite softsound 1000+).

Thanks in advance.

squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by squal View Post
Hope someone can answer this question.

On the Nest website they say my system is not compatible. After trying a different combination I found out that the reason for this is the wire with the number 4. In the nest compatibility test I had to open up a panel that said "more", since this type of wire wasn't even displayed when the Nest compatibility tester thing first appeared. The checkbox name is actually 1,2,3,4.

Does anyone know what this wire labeled as "4" is for? Could I somehow find a workaround for this? I have a gas furnace (Lennox g26 series, but I could get more specific if needed) and an AC (KeepRite softsound 1000+).

Thanks in advance.
I've never heard of a (4) terminal, what does it land on at the equipment side? And what t-stat do you currently have installed?

Last edited by stickboy1375; 07-08-2012 at 07:55 AM.
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
AKA HVACTECHFW

Quote:

what type of current thermostat do you have? make and model? Based on your equipment the nest should work. But I dont recommend the nest. Its just a bunch of big hype and there are much better thermostats out there that can do much more than the nest can. The only thing the nest does is program itself by logging how you adjust the thermostat throughout the day for the first week or so.

Last edited by hvactech126; 07-08-2012 at 10:46 AM.
hvactech126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
what type of current thermostat do you have? make and model? Based on your equipment the nest should work. But I dont recommend the nest. Its just a bunch of big hype and there are much better thermostats out there that can do much more than the nest can. The only thing the nest does is program itself by logging how you adjust the thermostat throughout the day for the first week or so.
I like the nest, and it does more than just program itself, but I'm curious as to which t-stats you recommend?
Old 07-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
AKA HVACTECHFW

It depends on the application.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #6
E2 Electrician

Quote:
It depends on the application.
Im talking just typical one stage heat/cool systems... and of course, wifi accessibility, and an iPhone app.

Last edited by stickboy1375; 07-08-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
AKA HVACTECHFW

ok, what functions do you want your thermostat to do. Programmable? Internet and mobile access? outdoor temp? Overcooling dehumidification? Do you have any additional accessories on your system such as humidifier or ventilation? Is your system located in a basement; would you like your thermostat to be wired with a wet sensor to indicate water on the floor and pop an alert? There are a number of questions that need answered as every installation is different.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

never worked on or installed a nest before. I'm clueless.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
never worked on or installed a nest before. I'm clueless.
Its a typical thermostat swap out, gets wired like every thermostat on the market, just comes packed with its own brain on running your equipment.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
AKA HVACTECHFW

also, nest thermostats do not do well at all without a C connection.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the replies!

Maybe I don't need a Nest, but here's my need. I want to control my thermostat from outside my home. I don't want to buy extra gear to do this (like ZWave where I would need to buy a controller, am I correct?). I want to be able to check my home's temperature and override whatever temperature is set, or just turn the AC or Heating on if I want to.

I know Nest does some of those, not sure if all. But there is one good reason I might end up buying that one: my wife things it looks good and she'll allow me to spend $250 in a thermostat. While spending $170 in a Honeywell is not going to make her happy.

I would preferably want to use this with my Android phone, not the web. Also, the web interfaces for the ZWave apps are not very nice (not nice as in ugly and hard to use). There are some Android apps which look more promising.

As for my old thermostat, it's old as hell, that's why no one might recognize that number 4 terminal. It's one of those old mercury thermostats. Probably from the early 90's or late 80's. No programming of any kind and, of course, no Wifi. ;-)
squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
E2 Electrician

Quote:
also, nest thermostats do not do well at all without a C connection.
They actually do, it's the equipment that may have an issue with a power stealing thermostat.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by squal View Post

As for my old thermostat, it's old as hell, that's why no one might recognize that number 4 terminal. It's one of those old mercury thermostats. Probably from the early 90's or late 80's. No programming of any kind and, of course, no Wifi. ;-)
Im betting your system is not even using the (4) terminal, but to verify, you would need to find the other end and see what it is doing. It may just be a common wire off the transformer, or capped off at the heating/cooling equipment.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #14
AKA HVACTECHFW

You never answered make and model. Even a picture? Can't help if you don't provide info.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
E2 Electrician

Quote:
You never answered make and model. Even a picture? Can't help if you don't provide info.
You think with todays technology a picture would be posted with every question....