Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Nest

Anybody seen this new thermostat yet ? Or have any info on it ?

http://www.nest.com/

JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #2

Nest

Not seen one yet but read the articles last week. I don't much like the concept as it uses a built in algorithm and "learning". I much prefer setting up my own programs. But I can see this device being useful for those who never learned to program a VCR... or who just don't want to take the time to program a t-stat.

But I suspect/worry that for less than consistent useage patterns the Nest might end up often providing inappropriate output and folks might then just put it in manual... assuming it lets you do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDidley View Post
Anybody seen this new thermostat yet ? Or have any info on it ?

http://www.nest.com/

raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #3

Nest

I hear you. I dont even program my thermostat. Sometimes I'm home in the daytime, sometimes at night. No way I can keep to a given schedule. I just thought it was a cool stat that some people could use.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

Nest

Jack, I posted about that a week ago. I changed out the radio on my 3m-50 to the one that OurHomespaces.com sells. I am able to monitor both it and the Ted, and make adjustments on the fly on the thermostat. As for the Nest, it is the next generation of smart thermostats, in which it took the place of the Proliphix residential that is no longer available, and the Ecobee, which is still available.

I personally would go with the Proliphix, if I could get one, since you can incorporate various sensors into it, such as door, remote for basement, etc.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #5

Nest

Somehow, I missed that thread. I dont necessarily buy the trick of the week stuff but I like seeing new tech. As I said, I never know when I will be home or gone and I have a real small house so I have no need for such an elaborate stat. I did think the price was reasonable for it though.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Nest

Mine was only $99, but for the newer radio, it was another $49. Being able to monitor usage is one reason that I went with the smart thermostat. Our house is only 837sq ft, but it is nice having smart tech to control the largest money waster, next to potable water & electricity.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #7

Nest

Greg,

I've had a 3M50 for about 6 months and it works great. What is this new radio you added to yours and what does it do that the OEM wifi radio doesn't do??

One thing I don't like about it is no onboard useage info. Before the 3M50 I had a Hunter programmable stat for 15 years. It had a useage function built in. Push the button once for today's cumulative run time, again for previous day, again for week, and once more for month. I know you can do useage by software on the 3M50 but not as convenient as my old Hunter. But it had a really lame display and no wifi, of course.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

Nest

For one raylo, it does not lock up or crash like the rtcoa u-snap does. I had to order it through ourhomespaces.com, but overall, their app and website is 100% better, than the rtcoa stuff. I just decided, that when they announced the move to energyhub.com and the fact, that my previous radio went out in Sept., that it was time to make a decision.

For a basic smarthome thermostat, it is okay, but I am looking at maybe within the next year moving up to something else, that allows more incorporation of monitoring outside air temps, etc. Something like the ecobee, or if I can get my hands on a proliphix, that would be even better.

As for the run time, with the ohs radio, it is tracked on their customer portal, so you do not have to run third party software like thermostatmonitor, or thermostatforwindows.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #9

Nest

Ok, so I take it these stats are provisioned to connect to a different cloud website service... My 3M50 does not crash or hang. But I agree the EnergyHub web service is pretty lame. I wish it had useage built in w/o needing a separate app. Does yours do useage on the ourhome cloud website?
Old 11-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

Nest

There is a choice for Raw data, which breaks it down, or graphed. To fully control from the iPhone app, it does cost $1.99, but I like it totally over the rtcoa app, and website. The webpage is simple, but I can see both my Ted5000 & the thermostat right there, when I log in. Can run one of three programs for In, Out, Away, set for a temp for the number of hours I wish, there is just more than I can tell you, that it is a better portal, than what I view the rtcoa as still an infant, compared to the ohs.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #11

Nest

RTCOA has most of those capabilities... except perhaps setting a temp for a defined number of hours. But it does do all the usual programming functions and has an "away" button. Doesn't sound like the extra $50 for OHS would be worth it for my use... but I'd like to see their web interface for comparison. I visited OHS but don't see anyplace to view a demo. Is there a demo or screenshot you can point me to?
Old 11-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Nest

I can post some screenshots. Attached are four of the various pages. Right now, working with them to resolve a issue on their end, but actually it has been positive with everything. The big difference is, that they do not have a api like rtcoa, for a person to write their own controlling software, but for me, it is one area that I do not mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Nest-dashboard.jpg   Nest-alarm.jpg   Nest-grapheddata.jpg   Nest-rawdata.jpg  

Last edited by gregzoll; 11-01-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 62

Nest

The nest. Is a system to use if you want it to correct for your eve changing life stlye patterns. It will automatically set back temp, even when its in a programmed time to maintain temp when it detects no one is home. And will bring the temp back up if someone comes home early.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #14

Nest

IF you happen to walk by within range of the thermostat's motion detector. And who knows how long it needs to go without motion (like watching a movie) before it decides you aren't there? This thing is too HAL for me. It might go rogue and decide to cook you if you try to disable it's AI. Dave.. what are you doing... Dave?!. ;-)

Last edited by raylo32; 11-01-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 62

Nest

Doesn't matter too much how long before it decides your not there. A regular stat won't know either way, it will just follow a set program. The Nest will help to save a little more money on the heating bill.

And as with some other stats. You can call it and raise the temp early if you know your coming home early.

Don't worry about the stat going rogue, your computer could any minute now.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote