Need Wireless Upstairs Thermostat - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need wireless upstairs thermostat

I have a 2 story house that gets too hot upstairs in the winter, so I need a thermostat upstairs and downstairs. Is there a product out there that works wirelessly upstairs and works with downstairs wall mounted thermostat?

Most of the wireless systems I have seen require a unit to be mounted to the HVAC directly. That would require a professional install, I want to buy a wall mounted unit I can replace downstairs.

Advertisement

stringzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,184

I am not an HVAC pro, so may be wrong, but I don't believe that having two thermostats is going to solve the problem. Is the existing thermostat on an inside wall? If it is on an outside wall, that could be part of the problem. Have you tried throttling some or all of of your upstairs registers?

Advertisement

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

There are wireless thermostats, but unless you have either a zoned system or two separate HVAC systems, you won't be able to have different temperatures on different levels.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #4

@DexterII - my current thermostat is on in inside wall.

@fabrk8r - I am not so concerned about having different temps on different levels. The problem is it takes so long for the downstairs thermostat to change to desired temp, that upstairs is roasting hot. I guess I could close some vents upstairs, but a couple of vents don't have that abilty. I just want the thermostat to read the temps upstairs to it doesn't get too hot. I don't want to wire anything upstairs, hoping for wireless that I can replace on the wall for my current thermostat.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 512

I'm also not an expert. But what could you accomplish with a second thermostat that you couldn't by simply setting the downstairs temperature lower? For example, suppose that your problem is that by the time it's 69 degrees downstairs, it's 75 upstairs. Why not set the thermostat to 64? Either way, it's going to be either chilly downstairs and nice upstairs, or hot upstairs and nice downstairs.

- Make sure you're getting enough airflow downstairs. You could simply have a blockage, or a leak in your ductwork. That would cause it to heat up more slowly.
- Upgrade all non-closing registers to closing ones (test the results with some cardboard taped over top before you buy).
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

The existing duct system is either sized wrong or improperly balanced. Correct the air flow and the problem will go away.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #7

@operagost, that is how we do it now, but it is hit or miss depending on how cold the night is, etc.

@fabrk8r, that could be part of the problem, however, we live in a townhome and I am not sure if the ductwork is part of the homeowner's associations responsibility? Also, even if the airflow was adequate, we have a high ceiling living room that has a loft above to the second floor, so most of the warm air from the first floor would eventually rise to the second anyways I would imagine.

Advertisement