Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC


Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10

Need some vocabulary terms


I'm working on a duct sealing project and I have some questions but before I ask them I need a couple vocabulary terms, which I was not able to find with a Google search.

My house has two AC systems, one for upstairs and one downstairs. Both of them have a sort of three-box arrangement. The first box is the furnace. This attaches to a second box, then this second box is attached to a third box, where all the ducts come out. What are these second and third boxes called? Are they called "transition" and "plenum"?

Almost all of the ducts are rigid, but two are flex duct for a 12-foot span or so. These flex ducts attach to a metal piece that juts out from the AC unit. This jutting-out piece is a "boot"?


Cakemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 25,979
Rewards Points: 3,628

Need some vocabulary terms

Furnace, case coil/evap coil, plenum.

jutting out piece, start collar, or side take off.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Terms: sirsparksalot Electrical 4 05-06-2011 01:41 AM
Terms of service. AaronB Site Feedback and Suggestions 1 05-18-2010 08:05 AM
400 Amp Upgrade / Transfer Switch AndrewF Electrical 50 07-04-2009 08:33 PM
Blower Fan Bad brohar HVAC 43 06-11-2009 09:31 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.