Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need some help with Rheem Criterion II

Hello, I have limited experience with HVAC, maybe just enough to get me into trouble, but I'm experiencing a problem with my furnace that I cant seem to figure out. Its a 13 YO Rheem Criterion II horizontal furnace located in the attic. The problem is the draft inducer motor/housing assembly does not seem to pull enough air through the attached pressure switch rubber hose to trigger the pressure switch. Ive replaced the pressure switch with another OEM switch and it still does not work. This rubber hose goes from the pressure switch to the draft inducer housing nipple and is not clogged, also the exhaust vent through the roof is not restricted. I can tell you that I'm 100% certain the problem is pressure switch related as I can get the furnace to cycle by bypassing the pressure switch. Do you think the the DI motor/housing assembly is the culprit? maybe cracked?

Last edited by macaluso1; 01-05-2009 at 05:06 PM.
macaluso1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Is This a condensing furnace? If it is and the attic temp is below freezing, your condensate drain system may be frozen. Just a possibility.

SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #3

No Skip, heat only. Is there another option instead of using an air pressure switch?
Old 01-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,424

If you look CAREFULLY, LOTS of them have a big crack in the front of the black bakelite housing that ventor fan usually is made of. The replacement is cast aluminum. Or the gasket behind it is shot. The only way to test it for draft is with a manometer. It may be getting old and slowing down. They usually last about 10 yrs. MUST have a pressure switch to prove draft/combustion air thru the heat exchanger. NEVER EVER bypass it other than to test it or you will get flame rollout/visit from fire dept.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #5

Yuri, thanks for taking the time to explain this to me. I think a new DI motor & housing assembly are in order. I'm sure it wont be an over the counter item. Do I go through Rheem to get this part? And yes, I do understand that the pressure switch is a MUST. Thanks again.