Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Need some help with blower motor


My old hot air furnace blower motor died so I pulled it out and purchased a new one. The old motor was an Emerson Mod SA55NXWR-4554, 1/2 HP, 1725 RPM, 115v, 7.8 amps single phase. The replacement motor specs are the same but it is a Dayton brand 5K258K.
The wiring diagram on the housing is limited to just the rotation of the motor and where the two electric wires connect. All is described in a number for each post.
My issue is after wiring it up and connecting, it is not spinning the blower as fast as it should be causing the furnace to overheat and shut down.
There are another set of posts inside the wiring port with numbered 3 but there is no reference to what these are for.
I am concerned that I bought the wrong motor or I'm missing something in my wiring.
Guys PLEASE help.

Thanks

Chris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: winnipeg manitoba canada
Posts: 779
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Need some help with blower motor


what makes you say its spinning to slow...

carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Member
 
biggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,630
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Need some help with blower motor


thats a single speed motor as shown. the correct direction when on...how a many wires on the old motor? is it for just a furnace with no AC? http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...rue&sst=subset
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 25,567
Rewards Points: 2,814
Default

Need some help with blower motor


Just a wild guess. But maybe its spinning in the wrong direction. Check and I bet its running in teh wrong rotation. You should see instructions for changing its rotation.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
how
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 1,499
Rewards Points: 514
Default

Need some help with blower motor


If you left the blower cage inside the fan housing and only changed the motor then briefly turn on the fan blower to see which way it's turning....

If the scoops of the blades of the blower cage are facing the same direction that the fan is turning towards, the motor is running in the correct direction.
If the rounded side of the blades are facing the same direction that the blower is turning, then the motor direction is backwards.

Last edited by how; 05-02-2012 at 08:31 PM.
how is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Need some help with blower motor


WOW do I feel like a horses A**..yup it was spinning the wrong way.

Thanks guys for the help, sincerly !
Chris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,437
Rewards Points: 2,188
Default

Need some help with blower motor


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
My old hot air furnace blower motor died so I pulled it out and purchased a new one. The old motor was an Emerson Mod SA55NXWR-4554, 1/2 HP, 1725 RPM, 115v, 7.8 amps single phase. The replacement motor specs are the same but it is a Dayton brand 5K258K.
The wiring diagram on the housing is limited to just the rotation of the motor and where the two electric wires connect. All is described in a number for each post.
My issue is after wiring it up and connecting, it is not spinning the blower as fast as it should be causing the furnace to overheat and shut down.
There are another set of posts inside the wiring port with numbered 3 but there is no reference to what these are for.
I am concerned that I bought the wrong motor or I'm missing something in my wiring.
Guys PLEASE help.

Thanks
are you sure the rotation is correct....most dayton motors are reversible by switching wires....picture would help...ben..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:06 AM   #8
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 25,567
Rewards Points: 2,814
Default

Need some help with blower motor


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
WOW do I feel like a horses A**..yup it was spinning the wrong way.

Thanks guys for the help, sincerly !
You aren't the first person to have made that mistake.

Of course, I never did. :w histling2:
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,437
Rewards Points: 2,188
Default

Need some help with blower motor


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
You aren't the first person to have made that mistake.

Of course, I never did. :w histling2:
me neither

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trane XL80 blower motor part number? keverino HVAC 17 01-10-2012 09:01 AM
Old Rheem Air Blower Motor Wiring Problem CompoundNetwork HVAC 3 11-20-2011 03:51 PM
Blower motor: Emerson to GE threeonesix HVAC 12 08-25-2011 03:59 PM
Wiring a replacement blower motor bodtchboy HVAC 17 08-11-2011 10:05 PM
Inside Blower motor keeps running crawlerchris HVAC 1 12-19-2009 08:01 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.