Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #1

Share |

Need SG379 Thermister for GE motor's "ECM"

Does anyone know where to get a SG379 thermister for my air handler? I have a GE 1HP 120V motor with an ECM 2.3 controller. It appears this is all I need to get my heat back on with my heat pump. I have searched a lot of web sites, but none have this part.
Thanks
Blackie

Blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
Does anyone know where to get a SG379 thermister for my air handler? I have a GE 1HP 120V motor with an ECM 2.3 controller. It appears this is all I need to get my heat back on with my heat pump. I have searched a lot of web sites, but none have this part.
Thanks
Blackie
If you can wheedle the specs. on this device from the manufacturer's receptionist you can search for some equivalent thermistor. You probably need the resistance at two temps and whether it a negative or positive tempco thermistor.

I got a small generic lamp for 32 for which the manuf. wanted $32 because the customer service lady read me the specs wanting to make sure she was selling me the correct lamp.

Or, if you have a schematic for the electronics that mates with this device, we might reverse engineer it.

Maybe these guys can cross reference it
http://www.ussensor.com/pgthermistor...FQw9GgodgndLcw
If you say you need it to build an engineering prototype they may send you a free sample of the correct device.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 02-13-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

120 volt air handler???
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #4

Yeah and 1 HP too? Must have the voltage wrong.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #5

Amazingkeys.com has the SG379 thermister.
bob reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #6

I know this thread is old but during my research I could not find the answer to my question (where can I get the SG379 or a suitable alternative for a fair price) so I am positing this information about how I resolved my issue. I contacted RTI Electronics (manufacturer of the SG379) and got the specs for the SG379. It's a 1ohm 30amp Inrush Current Limiter. Same as their SG405 or the more readily available SL32 1R030 from Ametherm. I bought the SL32 1R030 from Newark for $2.36 and $6.22 shipping. Received in two days. Just swapped out the faulty component two hours ago and am now basking in the cool air once again. Can't believe a $2 part saved me from spending $1000. I had an HVAC tech come out to confirm the problem before attempting to fix ("easter egging" on your own is not safe), signed up for their service plan for $236 (includes free troubleshooting and two service visits for routine maintenance. I will now have them back to check over the system as part of the plan. Working on an HVAC system is dangerous and I would not recommended it to anyone. I was an electronics tech in the Marine Corps and had help from a licensed HVAC tech. Stay safe, get help. You can still save a bundle. As a side note I also purchased the VZPRO surge protector (Zebra Instruments) for my GE motor since the motor and motor module is so incredibly expensive. It connects between the motor and OEM connector. Next time I can just swap out the VZPRO instead of soldering in a new component.

FSUDAL is offline   Reply With Quote