Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 252

Need a programmable thermostat. LUX or Honeywell.

Just bought a home that has a basic digital thermostat. The heat is forced air gas and the AC is a Heil 2 ton model. It's an older house and in addition to addressing the insulation I want to buy a 7 day programmable thermostat.

I've read a lot and it appears that both Honeywell and Lux make exactly what I'm looking for. I've looked at all the features and aside from the touch screens they all seem really similar. Are the Honeywell units worth the added cost? The LUX units are nearly 40% cheaper than the Honeywell. If you read reviews fo the units at Amazon.com all of the LUX units rate 4.5-5.0 stars out of 5 while the honeywell units rate 4-4.5 out of 5. Not that Amazon means anything but it was interesting none the less. I guess what I'm asking is, are the LUX units quality? I'd prefer to save every penny I can and as long as it works well and is fairly user friendly I don't care what brand it is.

LUX TX9000TS for $67.00 (Touch Screen)
LUX TX9100E for $49.99
LUX CAG1500 for $49(clean cycle)

Honeywell RTH7500D $89
Honeywell RTH7600D $87 (Touch Screen)

Oh, one more question, can anyone tell me what the main difference is bewteen the TX9100E and the CAG1500 from LUX. Their spec sheet reads nearly identical other than a filter monitor or something like that.

THanks.

speedster1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,322

You get what you pay for. The Honeywell and White Rodgers products are the ONLY thermostats I use. I have replaced many many of the Lux, Hunter, Noma etc etc and have never had problems with Honeywell or White Rodgers.

yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
You get what you pay for. The Honeywell and White Rodgers products are the ONLY thermostats I use. I have replaced many many of the Lux, Hunter, Noma etc etc and have never had problems with Honeywell or White Rodgers.
I certainly have no problem paying extra for it if it really is a better product. I'm not familier with White Rodgers products. Where can I buy them? Are they homeowner friendly or do I need a qualified HVAC guy to install one.

All things considered equal, what thermostat would you recommend to someone in my situation? I need a 7 day model thats reliable and easy to use. I don't need the most high tech and obvisouly I'm concerned about price. But not at the expense of buying a bad product.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

i like the honeywell focus pro 8000 it is very easy to program
mrairflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

copy and paste

http://customer.honeywell.com/Honeywell/UI/Pages/Catalog/ComponentCategory.aspx?Catalog=Homes&Category=Digi tal+Programmable_2034&ChannelID={2EB2F178-20ED-44E0-97FB-CCFB4218DD64}

Any of the Focus Pros are good. The higher end touch screens are nice but not the easiest to see in dim lighting. White Rodgers are usually sold by contractors. Don't want to deal with HDepot I guess. They are homeowner friendly as long as you 1) shut off the power first 2) label the wires B4 removing them from the old tstat 3) follow the instructions carefully LOL

Last edited by yuri; 11-22-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrairflow View Post
i like the honeywell focus pro 8000 it is very easy to program
Are you referring to the Vision Pro 8000? The only Focus Pros I see are 6000 series.

I found this site that has good info on higher end thermostats.

http://www.prothermostats.com/search...eypad_lockout=

The Vision Pro 8000 has a 5 star rating. The Pro1IAQ T905 is another one with good ratings.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

I would not go "cheap" with a thermostat. It's one of the lowest cost components of an HVAC system and you don't want the "brains" of a system failing. Honeywell is all I'll ever use.

Besides that, the latest thermostats can save their own cost in energy savings.

I just bought a Honeywell Prestige with the remote O.D. Sensor.
hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

Good point. Spend $5-6,000 on a furnace and slap a $50 thermostat on. Makes no sense.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:12 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Good point. Spend $5-6,000 on a furnace and slap a $50 thermostat on. Makes no sense.
To me is speaks to the problematic issues that plague the industry. Just like the new construction market will slap the cheapest crap into a $500,000 home, it is more the norm for the replacement contractor to say, "just give me a cheap basic stat to go along with that 18 SEER, $4000 heat pump system. The homeowner won't know the difference

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 02-06-2010 at 08:51 AM. Reason: removed adv info
Home Air Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #10
Hvac Pro

The new homebuilder/owner is only concerned with granite countertops/fancy lighting and plumbing fixtures. The "green" box in the basement that throws heat is not a glamor item. Lots of installers couldn't program an IAQ stat to save their life so they ignore them. I work in $500,000 and up homes and ductwork is never balanced, furnaces "setup" is straight from the box. Asked one builder about why they don't commission/setup anything. His answer: they have a one year warranty and will call if they notice anything wrong. Too bad, great underused technology in those units.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:20 AM   #11

I was all set to order the Vision Pro 8000 until I noticed it doesn't have a swing function. I'm trying to learn what all this stuff means but from what I read it's a feature I'd like to have control of. Any other recommendations for thermostats that will allow me to adjust swing.

Also, what are your thoughts on having an independent fan control that will allow the forced air system to just run the fan in order to help clean the air in the house? Is this a good worthwhile feature that is commonly used?

Last edited by speedster1; 11-24-2009 at 05:35 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #12
Hvac Pro

What brand and model # of furnace do you have?
Old 11-24-2009, 10:56 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster1 View Post
Are you referring to the Vision Pro 8000? The only Focus Pros I see are 6000 series.

I found this site that has good info on higher end thermostats.

http://www.prothermostats.com/search...eypad_lockout=

The Vision Pro 8000 has a 5 star rating. The Pro1IAQ T905 is another one with good ratings.
i was thinking vision pro and typed focus pro
mrairflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:35 AM   #14

Quote:
What brand and model # of furnace do you have?
I'm not sure of the model number. I haven't closed on the house yet so I don't have possession. I know it's a Temp Star that I think is 12 years old. The AC Unit is an 11 year old Heil 2 Ton unit.

I guess it's single stage heating and single stage cooling. but I'm not HVAC expert.

EDIT: I just pulled up the inspection report and the Furnace was installed in 1991 and is a TempStar model NUGG100DF03. Can anyone tell me more about this furnace? Not familiar with Tempstar products. Did a google search for that model number and it came back with links to Heil products. Is this furnace a rebadged Heil? Are these decent quality furnaces? Can anyone tell me the effiency rating?

Last edited by speedster1; 11-25-2009 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Updated Information
Old 11-25-2009, 07:29 AM   #15
APJ

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster1 View Post
Just bought a home that has a basic digital thermostat. The heat is forced air gas and the AC is a Heil 2 ton model. It's an older house and in addition to addressing the insulation I want to buy a 7 day programmable thermostat.

I've read a lot and it appears that both Honeywell and Lux make exactly what I'm looking for. I've looked at all the features and aside from the touch screens they all seem really similar. Are the Honeywell units worth the added cost? The LUX units are nearly 40% cheaper than the Honeywell. If you read reviews fo the units at Amazon.com all of the LUX units rate 4.5-5.0 stars out of 5 while the honeywell units rate 4-4.5 out of 5. Not that Amazon means anything but it was interesting none the less. I guess what I'm asking is, are the LUX units quality? I'd prefer to save every penny I can and as long as it works well and is fairly user friendly I don't care what brand it is.

LUX TX9000TS for $67.00 (Touch Screen)
LUX TX9100E for $49.99
LUX CAG1500 for $49(clean cycle)

Honeywell RTH7500D $89
Honeywell RTH7600D $87 (Touch Screen)

Oh, one more question, can anyone tell me what the main difference is bewteen the TX9100E and the CAG1500 from LUX. Their spec sheet reads nearly identical other than a filter monitor or something like that.

THanks.
I have a Honeywell ,heat and air, never had a problem with it . Owned it for about 3 years . I just changed the battery's in it about a month ago,they lasted 3 years ,,,wow.... It was a bout $60 for the unit. It does everything I need it too except pay the gas bill .lol..

APJ is offline   Reply With Quote