Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #1

Share |

Need a new hvac unit

Just wanting some input on Hvac units. Goodman,Trane Lennox I dont know

jjjbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #2

Need a new hvac unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjbh View Post
Just wanting some input on Hvac units. Goodman,Trane Lennox I dont know
They're all good. Amana(Goodman) has the best warranty. It all depends on how much you want to spend and how well the Co. installs the system.

chard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:20 AM   #3

Need a new hvac unit

When I researched this sort of thing myself recently, what I generally found was that it was more important to decide WHO installs the equipment much more that WHAT to install.

From what I've heard, many of the components that goes into theses systems are frequently sourced from the same place (i.e. you're likely to be getting the same compressor no matter which A/C unit you buy).

In general, lessor equipment is more likely to last longer if properly installed and maintained than higher end equipment that's been poorly installed. When it comes to HVAC equipment, there's plenty of places that short-cuts can be taken to get a system installed and running. But such a system isn't going to last, regardless of the equipment, compared to a system where everything has been done correctly. It's because of things like this why you don't always want to go with the lowest bidder, because the lowest bidder is more likely to take short cuts.

So my suggestion is to ask around, do some checking and research and select an HVAC installer based on reputation and knowledge. THEN install what ever equipment your installer is most familier with. Now I know that can seem like a daunting task if you are new to an area an all you have is a list of HVAC people in the phone book. So here's my best guess as some actions you can take...
1. Check with friends, relatives, or your local church to see who they use and what they know of them.
2. Check with friends or aquantances in the HVAC business... even if they are out-of-state. Via networking, that person might know someone where you live, or know someone to contact to find a good HVAC person in your area.
3. Pick at least three HVAC companies and ask them for a quote. Don't expect a quote over the phone. They will need to see your situation to create a fair assessement of your needs and what it will take for them to do the job. But this is to your advantage as you will have to opportunity to basically interview the HVAC company. Just keep in mind that who ever shows up is going to effectively be a salesman for the HVAC company (even if it's a private company of one). You have to try to look past the sales pitches and attempt to "read between the lines" to determine if this person really knows what they are talking about. Some times you can even get a sense of a persons knowledge just from asking various questions, whether you know the answer or not.
4. If you started with some good HVAC company recomendations, you should get quotes that are all ABOUT the same (+/- 10 to 15%). Any that seem way out of line with the others should be ignored (but then you sort of have to question your source for the HVAC recomendation). As long as the quotes are reasonably inline with each other, then ignore the dollar amounts. Pay attention to which, in your best judgement, most impresses you and seems the most knowledgeable. Then hire that contractor to install the equipment he knows best.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #4

Need a new hvac unit

http://www.acca.org/Files/?id=186
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #5

Need a new hvac unit

Just make sure you compare apples to apples. There's builders lines ( cheaper,less warranty and generally noiser) and the premium line all from the same brand. Picking an installing company that has been in business for many years is a pretty safe bet.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:59 AM   #6

Need a new hvac unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
Just make sure you compare apples to apples. There's builders lines ( cheaper,less warranty and generally noiser) and the premium line all from the same brand. Picking an installing company that has been in business for many years is a pretty safe bet.
You might find it impossible to "compare apples to apples" when it comes to equipment... that's why I argue shopping for a contractor, not shopping for equipment.

Here's my example:
1st Contractor: Sells and quotes prices for Trane and Ammana
2nd Contractor: Sells and quotes prices for American Standard
3rd Contractor: Sells and quotes prices for Goodman

So buying an HVAC system is sort of like buying fruit at a farmer's market: One farmer is selling apples, one is selling oranges, and another is selling grape fruit. All three will provide you nurishment, but you have to judge for yourself which farmer is selling you better fruit.

IF you have found three reputable constractors, you should find that they all give you price quotes that are all in the same general ball park for "similar" equipment (by similar, I mean look at the size of the equipment in BTU and energy efficiency, such as A/C SEER and gas furnance efficency %... 80%, 95%).

Basically, when you are getting quotes for something that costs in the ball-park of $5,000 to $10,000, a $500 difference in price quotes isn't that big of a deal (especially since you likely will NOT be comparing apples to apples). So again, I suggest that you only take a first glance at prices to insure the contractor is "in the same ball park" as other contractors. Once you've got quotes in the same ball park, ignore the price quotes and do your best to judge the contractor.

BTW, something else I'll toss out as a general idea, I've been more impressed with "independant" contractors that have been in business for many years that I have been with "corporate" contractors. Part of the reason is that with an independant, you're more likely to be interveiwing the person that will be doing the actual instilation. With a corporate contractor, you won't know anything about the compentency of the technision that comes to install the equipment because you likely will not meet them until the day they show up to start installing the equipment.

HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote