Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2004, 09:56 PM   #1

Need New furnace advice.

I have decided to get a Carrier 58MVP furnace (propane)and 38TDB 16 SEER airconditioner. Does anyone have an opinion on these products? 2 1/2 ton system was recommended. I am going with this set up over a heat pump. It is an expensive system. I have begun to wonder if I should check into a GeoThermal set up but I'm afraid it will be much more that the Carrier. Any advice please?

Old 04-19-2004, 09:50 PM   #2

Need New furnace advice.

I bought that same system 7 years ago and I love it. It is incredibly quiet, it keeps the temperature within 1 degree, and the utility bills are very low. It is expensive at first, but it lasts for decades and you'll more than get back what you put into it.

Old 10-20-2004, 10:53 AM   #3

Need New furnace advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
I have decided to get a Carrier 58MVP furnace (propane)and 38TDB 16 SEER airconditioner. Does anyone have an opinion on these products? 2 1/2 ton system was recommended. I am going with this set up over a heat pump. It is an expensive system. I have begun to wonder if I should check into a GeoThermal set up but I'm afraid it will be much more that the Carrier. Any advice please?
I am a Carrier Technician and I have never heard of a 2 1/2 ton TDB (or Infinity 18) condensing unit. I might be wrong, but as far as I know, they only come in one-ton increments. So more than likely it will be a 2 or 3 ton condensing unit, because they are two-speed and can adapt to load. I think you will be very happy with the MVP/TDB combo, a very reliable system. I have only been on 2 service calls for an MVP in two years ... both due to lack of maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
I bought that same system 7 years ago and I love it. It is incredibly quiet, it keeps the temperature within 1 degree, and the utility bills are very low. It is expensive at first, but it lasts for decades and you'll more than get back what you put into it.
How could you have had the same system seven years ago, when they just came out with the TDB air conditioner 10 months ago?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:13 PM   #4
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Rewards Points: 500

Need New furnace advice.

Hi unregistered

That is a common misconception, the R410A equipment has been out with Carrier almost 10 years now. I installed in my Bosses house about five years ago a 38ydb which is the heat pump version of what you have. Back to what you bought, make sure that your installer explains to you about the benifits of the Infinity system that you are considering. But to the second part of the question you now have my mouth watering. I AM A GEOTHERM MAN! I wish everyone on earth could afford one of these bad boys. The one thing you want to watch when having someone bid your equipment. Make sure they understand your needs and make sure they bid R410A equipment. The reason being is that in 2010 there is no longer production of the current R22 refrigerant, yes you guessed it it will become outragious. But who cares R410A or Puron outperforms it hands down. And if they cant explain it to you, you just check in with the Carrierman and he will.

Excellent choice.
Rusty
#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote