Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #1

Share |

Need new furnace

After 20 years our atic furnace has gone out again, over the past five years i have spent about $600 on 2 smart valves 2 fan timer switch boards. The circuit board blew again today. I have the consolidated industries (junk) furnace, my home is 1700 sq ft ...can anyone recommend what furnace to get, and give me a website.. could i do the job myself.

uksparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Need new furnace

Any brand is fine, as long as it is sized right, and installed right.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (04-08-2012)
Old 04-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
REP

Need new furnace

Nothing ism 100% as even RollsRoyce has a warranty service dept.That said,I would suggest that if you buy a new furnace try to get a White Rogers system.
Then look for a 10 year parts and LABOR extended warranty.
As mentioned get your house sized correctly with a manual "J" and a manual "D".My suggestion here is if they don't give you the completed manuals then don't give them a check.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to REP For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #4

Need new furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP View Post
Nothing ism 100% as even RollsRoyce has a warranty service dept.That said,I would suggest that if you buy a new furnace try to get a White Rogers system.
Then look for a 10 year parts and LABOR extended warranty.
As mentioned get your house sized correctly with a manual "J" and a manual "D".My suggestion here is if they don't give you the completed manuals then don't give them a check.
Forgot to say i live in california, Bryant...Lenox so far ...sorry i am not that good at the heating lingo J and D what is that..
Old 04-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
REP

Need new furnace

They are engineering cvalculations that the smartest contractors do to figure out what size unit you need and what your ductwork has to be in order to get the correct amount of BTUs to each room and old air back to furnace.
In a lot of states it is now required in order4 to install a new or replacement furnace.
Any contractor that won't do these calculations are lazy and you will end up paying for their laziness for the next 20 years.
My guidence is that if they don't give you these calculations then don't even thuink about giving them a check.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to REP For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

Need new furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP View Post
They are engineering cvalculations that the smartest contractors do to figure out what size unit you need and what your ductwork has to be in order to get the correct amount of BTUs to each room and old air back to furnace.
In a lot of states it is now required in order4 to install a new or replacement furnace.
Any contractor that won't do these calculations are lazy and you will end up paying for their laziness for the next 20 years.
My guidence is that if they don't give you these calculations then don't even thuink about giving them a check.
Thats done at time of build. Outside of that it's like for like replacement.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:51 AM   #7

Need new furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post

Say what??? Doc, these should be done at time of build AND when replacing. How do you know if the previous installer put in the correct size without doing the proper assessments? Almost every unit that I've replaced has been too large, and the duct work too small. Now, you can't rip out all the duct work, but there are corrective measures that you can take, such as installing a larger drop on the return, and/or adding or enlarger return openings. Assuming that the guy before you did his due diligence is absurd. Customers deserve better.
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:51 AM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Need new furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Most RNC contractors just use sq ft sizing. or the same calcs as they used for the last 20 of the same layout homes. So no guaranty that the size that is in is right, and most of the time, it isn't.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #9

Need new furnace

I got an estimate from a contractor $4750 for a lennox furnace installed...Looking at.. furnace factory outlet..Goodman furnace how good are they. Thats if i do it myself
Old 04-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Need new furnace

As good as any other brand. They have builder grade, an higher end units the same as other brands do.