Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2007, 10:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Need a little advice/help with Air Unit questions

I have a Rheem heat pump unit. We had a power surge a couple of weeks ago and the compressor blew out. I have been told the cost is 1800 or so to fix. I found a couple of compressors online for 740 or 860 and that took alot of looking its not that easy to find. I have someone to install but now the emergency heat has stopped working. I guess my questions are dose anyone know how I can find a compressor for cheaper or are these good prices? And the heating strips that work with the emergency heat are they replaceable? or do these strips work directly with the system when the compressor is fixed or is the heat strickley controlled throuhg the pump?
maybe someone could explain this a little to me
Thanks

karenmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:51 PM   #2
Union HVAC Tech.

Rewards Points: 0

Need a little advice/help with Air Unit questions

First of all no supplier will give a wholesale price to a home owner. Secondly a compressor change out takes @ half a day, involves recovery of freon and evacuation of the system after brazing. All of which requires a Freon certification. No professional is gonna do this for free. Strip heat is independent of the heat pump, the only interconnection is when the system transformner is in the outdoor unit. Rather than shop a compressor price, try and shop for a reliable contractor. You get what you pay for.

bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote