Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2007, 12:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

need information to decide

Hi,

I need to install a new AC in my house. Several contractors have given me their quotes as follows:

1. $6600 for: Carrier Performance 80 furnace, Performance 15 AC (2 ton, 15 SEER). Refrigerant puron.
2. $6000 for: Trane XL80 furnace, XR13 AC (2 ton, 13 SEER). Refrigerant R-22

I feel hard to decide since this is my first time to install a new AC system. I have the following questions:

1. is there any big difference between those two systems beside price difference? For example, in terms of maintenance, quality and reliability. Carrier is a little bit more expensive, so is it worth shooting for Carrier system by spending more?

2. Is it really true that I can only get Freon supply (if repair is needed in future) until 2020 or 2030? That means my new AC will run out of Freon 13 years from now. Maybe that is the lifetime of a new AC system, I am not sure.

3. Carrier contractor claims Performance 80 is much quiet comparing to Trane system. Does some one have such experience?

Thanks for all your information.

hyyx632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:58 PM   #2

Im not an AC expert, or know a whole bunch about the Carrier, but from inspecting over 2,000 houses I see more 20 year old Trane systems than any other brand.

RedDawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #3

Don't know much either always had boilers and window ac till this house came with a carrier didn't opt for the AC figured tract home builder would use a cheap unit and you'd still be paying for it on the mortgage long after it was replaced had local reputable HVAC shop do the install didn't cost much more than the builder wanted. Eleven yrs had two service calls for cleaning and checkup. The AC is American Standard.
If I remember there was a tax credit for energy star rated units worth up to $300. for 06 don't know if that will be the same for 07 but you may want to consider that possibility in you decision.
Zero Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:52 PM   #4

First question I have is how long do you plan to stay in your home? If less than 5 yrs go with the cheaper unit even though I'm not a big fan of Trane. They wotk fine, but if you allow the outdoor coil to get dirty you normally have to use an acid style coil cleaner to remove the debris. The last date I heard for R-22 was 2030, but it seems like the date changes all the time so I wouldn't worry about it not being available. Also ave. life of an ac is 10-15 yrs. As far as tax credit, I'm not sure about 2007, but 2006 you had to have a 15seer or higher to get it. The 15 seer should be produce less noise than the Trane because of the oversized coil and slower fan speed.

To confuse you a little, did you consider a heatpump? More energy effieceint and can be used to heat and cool your home.
sgthvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:33 AM   #5

American Standard = Trane

The carrier option is more energy efficient, but how long will it take to recoup the $600 premium? Also, consider the warranty difference.

Trane is generally the best around, and if you're being quoted a lower price than the other option, I'd go for it. Ask also for a Trane quote with the 15 SEER rating.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #6

Hi -

Tell us a bit more about your home. Where do you live would be my first question?

If you are in a HOT climate like Florida or Texas, you will regain the initial $600 cost difference within 5 years on the higher SEER rating. After 5 years, look at it as something with a better return than a CD!

If you are in an area that uses AC little to none.. a very average tempurature year round - you may never regain the initial cost!

In regard to the R410A versus R22 battle - it all evens out in the longrun! R22 (refrigerant only) will save you money NOW, but cost you an arm and leg in 7 years when it is no longer manufactured. R410 on the other hand is high right now for a bottle of the refrigerant, which will drop in 7 years!

Climate-Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 02:22 PM   #7

HYY, I sold Carrier for twenty years. I now sell Trane for the last fifteen. I don’t know if you can do it but if you can install a 90% furnace. Don’t sweat the refrigerant type. I’m in the process of building a 1.3 Million dollar townhouse and I can assure you R410 isn’t going in it. Down the line you will save with the Trane system. Trane’s parts are 50% lower in cost than Carriers. Go with a 14 seer system. Trane will give you five years on all parts and ten years on condenser coil and compressor. Hope this helps. Bob
Keep Em Cool! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:09 PM   #8

In 1994 I bought an American Standard (Trane) with a 10 yr parts & labor warranty. The first year the controller went bad .... nothing since. I'd highly recommend Trane just from my own experience with this unit.

mikim is offline   Reply With Quote