Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #16
retired elect/hvac/plumb
 
plummen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Posts: 2,901
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Need Humidifier ASAP, 2+ problems


I guess Im just used to it!

__________________
"facts" have no relevance to this discusion
Posting from a concrete bunker under a non descript barn
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 2,362
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Need Humidifier ASAP, 2+ problems


Mines also on cold water. No problems maintaining 40% RH with the heat pump but I have it switch to gas at33 degrees.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #18
retired elect/hvac/plumb
 
plummen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Posts: 2,901
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Need Humidifier ASAP, 2+ problems


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
Mines also on cold water. No problems maintaining 40% RH with the heat pump but I have it switch to gas at33 degrees.
Mine switches over somewhere between 25/30,cant remember exactly where.
Of course I had my 3 year old grandson program the stat for me,beyond my pay grade!
__________________
"facts" have no relevance to this discusion
Posting from a concrete bunker under a non descript barn
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tennesse
Posts: 74
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Need Humidifier ASAP, 2+ problems


I have found over the years that in this trade common sense prevails over engineered wisdom......the problem with that theory is that common sense is not prevelant......
dosy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #20
retired elect/hvac/plumb
 
plummen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Posts: 2,901
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Need Humidifier ASAP, 2+ problems


I prefer the simpler days when it didnt take a degree from MIT to operate a thermostat myself.
But thats ok Ive been guaranteed that my 8-track player and the points in the magneto on my old model A ford will survive a nuclear blast when all the computerized stuff melts down Ill still have tunes and transportation!
__________________
"facts" have no relevance to this discusion
Posting from a concrete bunker under a non descript barn
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #21
Part of the Clover Leaf
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NW Burbs of Detroit Mi.
Posts: 1,107
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Need Humidifier ASAP, 2+ problems


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
Mines also on cold water. No problems maintaining 40% RH with the heat pump but I have it switch to gas at33 degrees.
Sssssssseeeee? Tryin' to punk me 'eh?
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #22
Part of the Clover Leaf
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NW Burbs of Detroit Mi.
Posts: 1,107
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Need Humidifier ASAP, 2+ problems


Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
I prefer the simpler days when it didnt take a degree from MIT to operate a thermostat myself.
But thats ok Ive been guaranteed that my 8-track player and the points in the magneto on my old model A ford will survive a nuclear blast when all the computerized stuff melts down Ill still have tunes and transportation!
Uncle Clover's old American made tube tv will be right in there with you.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #23
retired elect/hvac/plumb
 
plummen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Posts: 2,901
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Need Humidifier ASAP, 2+ problems


Long live the good ol days!
__________________
"facts" have no relevance to this discusion
Posting from a concrete bunker under a non descript barn
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #24
Still going...
 
ChrisDIY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indianapolis Area
Posts: 984
Rewards Points: 0
Blog Entries: 19
Default

Need Humidifier ASAP, 2+ problems


I have an 8 track tape in a box somewhere... :whistling:

Sent using Android DIY Chatroom
__________________
--Chris the DIY Guy

Master Bath, still going...
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #25
Still going...
 
ChrisDIY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indianapolis Area
Posts: 984
Rewards Points: 0
Blog Entries: 19
Default

Need Humidifier ASAP, 2+ problems


When the subject of humidity comes up there is always a response that says "seal up your house." It's been raining non-stop for the last week or more the outside humidity is in the 90's. However the inside humidity is still low around 29-30% Does this blow a hole in the "seal up house" theory?
__________________
--Chris the DIY Guy

Master Bath, still going...
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #26
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 25,060
Rewards Points: 8
Default

Need Humidifier ASAP, 2+ problems


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDIY View Post
When the subject of humidity comes up there is always a response that says "seal up your house." It's been raining non-stop for the last week or more the outside humidity is in the 90's. However the inside humidity is still low around 29-30% Does this blow a hole in the "seal up house" theory?
No.

34F air at 90%RH when heated to 70F only has an RH of 25.8%

According to Wunderground. Your area has had a mean average temp of 36F, with an RH of 74.2%

So while the outdoor RH may sound high, it actually has very little moisture in it. And its infiltraton into your house is keeping your indoor humidity low.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #27
Still going...
 
ChrisDIY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indianapolis Area
Posts: 984
Rewards Points: 0
Blog Entries: 19
Default

Need Humidifier ASAP, 2+ problems


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
No.

34F air at 90%RH when heated to 70F only has an RH of 25.8%

According to Wunderground. Your area has had a mean average temp of 36F, with an RH of 74.2%

So while the outdoor RH may sound high, it actually has very little moisture in it. And its infiltraton into your house is keeping your indoor humidity low.
Aaah, I see says the blind man...

Given, the design and poor build of this house I doubt I could ever seal it. I probably need to install and "exterior" door "inside" the house which is closet that is the attic for about 60% of house.

Need to rent one of those IR cameras.

--Chris
__________________
--Chris the DIY Guy

Master Bath, still going...

Last edited by ChrisDIY; 02-16-2012 at 11:25 AM.
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #28
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 25,060
Rewards Points: 8
Default

Need Humidifier ASAP, 2+ problems


Windows/window frames, wall receptacles and switches, door seals, band board in the basement. Attic access if its in the house. Range exhaust. Seal the mechanical room for the rest of the house, and provide a dedicated combustion air pipe if you have gas appliances. Seal the supply and return registers and grilles, so air isn't pulled from unconditioned space. Also seal the supply boots so they can't discharge air to an unconditioned space, and cause your house to go to a negative pressure and pull in more outside air. Along with your duct work.


While you may not find all the leaks. The more you do seal, the better your inside conditions will become.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #29
Still going...
 
ChrisDIY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indianapolis Area
Posts: 984
Rewards Points: 0
Blog Entries: 19
Default

Need Humidifier ASAP, 2+ problems


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Windows/window frames, wall receptacles and switches, door seals, band board in the basement. Attic access if its in the house. Range exhaust. Seal the mechanical room for the rest of the house, and provide a dedicated combustion air pipe if you have gas appliances. Seal the supply and return registers and grilles, so air isn't pulled from unconditioned space. Also seal the supply boots so they can't discharge air to an unconditioned space, and cause your house to go to a negative pressure and pull in more outside air. Along with your duct work.


While you may not find all the leaks. The more you do seal, the better your inside conditions will become.
Previous owner/builder used "blow-in" insulation eveywhere. Rim joists are a 2012 project, currently have blow-in insulation stuck to them. Attic/Closet is probably the weakest link.
__________________
--Chris the DIY Guy

Master Bath, still going...
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #30
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 25,060
Rewards Points: 8
Default

Need Humidifier ASAP, 2+ problems


You have you work cut out for you.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Armstrong Furnace and Aprilaire humidifier wont shut off! HELP! scott0949 HVAC 8 12-09-2010 06:30 PM
Goodman GMP100-3 Humidifier Issue olds2000 HVAC 1 11-20-2010 10:18 PM
Skuttle humidifier.. Or Sheesh! My Sinuses! Deezil HVAC 3 11-07-2010 06:18 AM
Are you having ice problems? Grumpy Roofing/Siding 27 02-17-2008 03:51 PM
Humidifier & Thermostat BigD HVAC 1 12-19-2007 08:04 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.