DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Need help wiring up a new thermostat

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  sktn77a 
#1 ·
Hello.

I have an old Friedrich Thermostat (still uses mercury) running my heat pump furnace. I bought a new Honeywell thermostat and im confused on where to put the old black wire, along with the W1 and W2. In the instructions it says that if I have both a Y1 and W2 and W3 wires that i should ask for help.

Here are the wires my old, existing thermostat has:

F- White wire
Y-Yellow wire
W1- Green
W2- Blue
O-Orange
R-Red
#5- Black. (New thermostat does not have a #5, whats this wire for??)

NEW thermostat terminals:

B
O
G
Y
W/Aux
R
Rc (R and Rc terminals are jumped)

In the instructions it says that the "W/Aux" terminal can be used for W, W1, or W2. But I cant put BOTH of my w1 and w2 wires in that terminal can i?

Thanks everyone for looking and for the help.

See less See more
#5 ·
Yeah the instructions came with a diagram and all of the different possible wire/terminal combinations that may be used with different manufacturers...but I have both a w1 and w2 wires and only one terminal. Unless I can just join w1 and w2 together and put them in the same terminal.

#10 ·
From the link above:

"On a heat pump system the compressor ("Y" terminal) is activated for both heating and cooling the only difference is that to switch to cooling the O terminal is activated to reverse the outdoor unit"

I think the thermostat will work with your system but you need to post the exact model number to figure out the wiring and, as Been says, check which wires go where in your furnace (you can't always go by the color). I think I know how this would work, but I'm reluctant to tell you something that could damage your compressor!

:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.