Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 53

Need help with wall AC unit (mold and dirty)

I bought my townhouse 3 years ago. It came with two 10,000 BTU Frigidaire FAH105P2T1 units. One in the master bedroom upstairs and one in the living room downstairs. Both units worked great. With both on, the entire house was cool and comfortable.

The living room unit cools the living room, dining room and kitchen which is an open area. There is a half bath but that door stays closed. The master bedroom unit would cool the master bedroom, full bath and second bedroom however during the night we keep the master bedroom doors closed because our 2 cats go nuts when we are sleeping. So instead of it cooling down a 800 sq ft area (approx) it is cooling down a 225 sq ft area (again approx).

Also, the sleeves have never been covered. Not by me or the previous owner. The living room unit I could reach with a latter but the master bedroom unit is hard to reach even with my bigger latter.

So here is my problem...I have had a sore throat, stuffy nose and watery/red eyes for a little while now. Just recently went on vacation and all those symptoms went away so I figured it was something in my townhouse doing it. I have never been allergic to cats so I ruled that out. I looked at the living room unit and it looks clean on the outside (didn't open it up so I can't tell when is on the inside). I looked at the bedroom unit and I found mold all on the front louver and inside that section. So I removed the unit and found years worth of dirt, spider webs, dust and just anything you can imagine in the back of the unit (we do live in a wooded area so I know it will get dirty but this looks like it has been collecting dirt and crap since it was put in many years ago). Water also was pouring out when I took it down. Not a little but buckets. I know water collects but I just didn't think it was that much. The unit did have small pieces of wood to tilt it backwards. I would bet my symptoms are because of the mold and dust in this unit.

A few questions...

1) Did this happen because it was never covered during the winter? We were using a bigger BTU unit for a small area? Unit wasn't tilting back far enough to drain properly? Or a combination of all?

2) Can I save this unit? I know mold is a pain to remove completely. Should I even bother taking it apart to clean it or just throw it away and start fresh next summer? Cleaning the parts I can see is easy but there are so many little parts that it might be hard to remove mold completely.

3) How do I pick a new AC unit to fit that sleeve and this won't happen again?

Here are some pictures showing the mold on the front and the dirt in the back. The mold is actually worse looking in person.

h22lude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 77

I have cleaned several of these units that had mold like yours. I used various things to clean the mold. I believe the most effective was 3% hydrogen peroxide, the kind you can purchase at any grocery store or drugstore followed by lysol or vingegar. I start with removing the unit from the wall or window and placing it on the driveway. Make sure you use respiratory protection and rubber gloves. An apron wouldn't hurt. Then I remove the cabinet to completely expose the "guts" of the unit. I use a trash bag cut up into smaller pieces to wrap the electronics on the unit. I pour a bottle of the peroxide into the base and then slosh it around so all the "gunk" is coated. I then take a spray bottle full of hydrogen peroxide and spray all of the areas I can get it into. I also spray the inside of the cabinet with peroxide. I wait for about 20 minutes and then take a garden hose with a spray nozzle set to a medium fog and thoroughly rinse everything down. Sometimes I have to dothe procedure a couple of times when it is really bad. Then I take my air compressor hose with a nozzle and thoroughly dry it. Then I take a can of lysol and spray everything down thoroughly. Then I let it dry in the sun for a couple of days before putting everything back together. Vinegar can also be used as the final application instead of lysol. The thing about trying to clean it is that you can't really tell if you get all of the mold cleaned out. You can use an ultraviolet "black light" to see if you see any residual mold. Yes, the condensate water needs to be drained from the pan. Some of the newer a/c units have a "slinger" type blade that throws water to help increase the efficiency. When I do new installs I always make sure the unit is slightly pitched so that the water runs out of the drain plug hole. I install a clear vinyl hose on the drain so the water can be directed to water plants, the grass, garden, etc. The decision to replace the unit is entirely yours. If I was allergic to mold I would probably choose to replace the unit. These units need to be cleaned on a regular basis, at least once a year, usually at the beginning of spring. I would definitely recommend covering the unit when it is not in use.

If you replace the unit you could look for a unit that has the same size sleeve. They are not that hard to replace.

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 08-29-2013 at 02:48 PM.
firedawgsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 53

Thanks for the info. I would have liked to clean it but after looking at it again it was just too dirty and moldy. I threw it away yesterday.

I covered the hole for now. I think I keep checking on sales. Right now there is pink board insulation that is very snug about 2 inches into the sleeve. I duct taped the sides for an even better hold. I then glued a wooden board to the face of the sleeve. I'm going to put caulk around the edge to make an air tight seal. I may even put spray foam insulation in between the wood board and the pink insulation. That will definitely make it air tight but might be over kill...and also hard to clean up when I put the new AC unit in.
h22lude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 77

I think you made the right call due to health concerns. A/C units usually go on sale in late fall.
firedawgsatx is offline   Reply With Quote