Need Help With Loop Layout For Radiant Between Joists. - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2014, 12:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Need help with loop layout for radiant between joists.

My husband and me have been building a house and we talked with a plumber who wants to install the tubing first so he can't work around it for the rest of the plumbing. He is a family friend and has not did a tube layout before but has worked on radiant floor systems. We talked with two radiant companies. After trying to deal with one we got fed up and switched. This other company said it is easy to install and lay out the tubing. I can easily lay out most of the house except for the main area.

The problem I'm having is the shape of the zone and the placement where the circuits go back to the manifold in the utility room. The zone includes the hallway, kitchen, and living area. The company suggests 4 circuits at 251' each with 1/2" tubing spaced 8" apart. We didn't plan on heated under the cabinets since we thought it would be a waste and we don't ever plan on remodeling the kitchen.

If anyone has any suggestions let us know. We just got the tubing and plates yesterday but would like to do most of it ourselves due to us being tight on money since our transmission just quit in our car. We won't be putting the manifolds and other stuff in till later. We do have a high crawl space so it should be easy to do. I just want to make sure the heat is even throughout the floor. I don't want all the return tubing in one area making a cold spot in the middle of the floor.

The downstairs bedroom and office will have tubing that goes across from the utility room through the hallway. I'm guessing that I will be skipping those joists with that tubing and probably run one circuit in the kitchen with it the return line heading up the hallway and back into the utility room.

Advertisement

reveriereptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #2
Rob

Rewards Points: 554

Need help with loop layout for radiant between joists.-heat.jpgIt looks like a tough one. If you run all the circuits out the hallway you are going to have a lot of heat and a lot of holes. I don't know if insulating the pipes and run them under the joists to and from the areas you want to heat and looping between joists where you want the heat would work. It would use more pipe but I don't know if it would be included in the 251". If I think of something else I will let you know.

Advertisement

Robpo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #3

Thanks for the help. I was wondering about running some copper piping below the joists to the center of the living room and have the manifolds there for that zone. We have about 4-5' of room under the house in the crawl space which would be enough to easily hook up the manifolds under it. I just wasn't sure if it would cool the water down to much even if we insulated it till it got to the manifold before going into the circuits or not.
There is a free trial for Loop CAD that I'm tempted to download and see if it would layout the tubing for me.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:16 AM   #4
Rob

Rewards Points: 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by reveriereptile View Post
Thanks for the help. I was wondering about running some copper piping below the joists to the center of the living room and have the manifolds there for that zone. We have about 4-5' of room under the house in the crawl space which would be enough to easily hook up the manifolds under it. I just wasn't sure if it would cool the water down to much even if we insulated it till it got to the manifold before going into the circuits or not.
There is a free trial for Loop CAD that I'm tempted to download and see if it would layout the tubing for me.
I had the same thought about putting the manifold in the middle after I posted but have not had much computer time since I am on the road. Loop CAD might be worth a try. I have never heard of it. I don't have much experience with this stuff except that I did my own under concrete and helped my neighbor do his under his floor much like yours but his is a basic rectangle in a full basement.
I guess that would be another option, to not isolate the rooms and heat the floor as one big area.
Robpo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:04 PM   #5

I got some help from a plumber that does radiant. He said I could run some copper piping from the manifolds to hook the circuits off of and another one for the return. That would decrease the amount of holes and mess of not having to run all those tubes from the utility room down into the living area and back.