Need Help With Identifying Wiring On White-Rodgers Thermostat - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help with identifying wiring on White-Rodgers thermostat

We're replacing the thermostat (original) with a Rite-Temp 6022 (I know, baseline; we just need something moderately programmable). I've gotten the face of the White-Rodgers off (type 1F56W-444), but the wires don't appear to be labeled well at all. Here a couple of pics, and any info folks can share would be great. Thanks in advance! EDIT: Nevermind; I'm an idiot. I didn't even remember that the face needed to come off of the front. No worries; power's off. I've done this before, but it's been a while. Don't make fun; please.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with identifying wiring on White-Rodgers thermostat-dsc_1121.jpg   Need help with identifying wiring on White-Rodgers thermostat-dsc_1122.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by luckie_reubs; 05-07-2009 at 11:24 AM.
luckie_reubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,766

Remove those 3 screws.

Wire designations are on the back

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #3

Yeah, I realized that immediately after I posted it. I feel like an idiot; I've got it all hooked up now; just need to check the jumpers.
luckie_reubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #4

Just wanted to say thanks - and your error must be common! Sadly, I too was confused until I read your post and removed the second cover. Once I did that, it was simple - and my system is working!!!
jenwouters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #5

Sorry, I'm new here and I must be really stupid. 1) I can't get the old thermostat off the wall, and 2) the wiring codes are on the back of what?
drav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #6

Last edited by drav; 07-28-2011 at 10:31 AM. Reason: duplicate post
drav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by drav View Post
I can't get the old thermostat off the wall, and 2) the wiring codes are on the back of what?

Older thermostats have 3 parts. newer digital thermostats usually have two parts

The part that attaches to the wall is called the base-plate. It is what the thermostat wires attach to. Sometimes the wires are attached directly to the front where they are visible and some thermostats have the wires attached to the back of the base-plate before it is secured to the wall. This part will usually have letters to designate the attachment points of the corresponding wires.

The next part is the thermostat itself. It snaps or screws onto the base-plate and there are connections that fit together like a little plug that make low volatage electrical contact.

Some thermostats (analog) have a cover which snaps into place after everything else is connected.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,766

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckie_reubs View Post
We're replacing the thermostat (original) with a Rite-Temp 6022 (I know, baseline; we just need something moderately programmable). I've gotten the face of the White-Rodgers off (type 1F56W-444), but the wires don't appear to be labeled well at all. Here a couple of pics, and any info folks can share would be great. Thanks in advance! EDIT: Nevermind; I'm an idiot. I didn't even remember that the face needed to come off of the front. No worries; power's off. I've done this before, but it's been a while. Don't make fun; please.
lower left in that pic, see the letter "K", just to the right, loosen that screw. On the lower right side, you see that screw, loosen it, and then the one at top right.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #9

Yep, I could not figure out how to label my wires, with no letter designations. Found your post about needing to remove the thermostat itself, and which screws did that.....voila! From that point on it was a walk in the park.

Just registered to join this site so I could say thanks to all. I will certainly be back I am sure.

Advertisement

PCBFla is offline   Reply With Quote