Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2007, 01:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help with heat/cool unit before wife kills me

Hello everybody - first post here. I need some good advice on what make an model to buy as far as a portable air conditioner that heats and cools. Heck, it could even be a window unit if the general consensus is that those are better. My wife is on me to get a unit before summer really hits because we have a 6 month old and the other unit in out house won't be enough. My budget is around $500 or lower. What makes and models are considered to be the best and most energy efficient for portable or window units that heat and cool? Also, do you have to stretch a dryer sized hose across the house when moving portables from room to toom? Or do you have to disconnect the vent hose and install a whole new window vent for each room you might want to transport it to? Thanks.

buddyc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

If your budget is $500, why not just buy several window units, one for each room you want to condition? You can get a single-room-sized window unit in the $90-$150 range.... $500 would get you 3 to 5 of them.

pjpjpjpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:12 PM   #3
weekend warrior

Rewards Points: 150

I don't know of any more efficient than another... but,

make sure you get one properly sized for your area or it will never totally cool your room, never shutoff, and therefore cost you more in the long run.
johnny331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:15 PM   #4
Diesel Fitter

Rewards Points: 150

heat and cool units are about 450 and up. An on the floor unit you will have to bring the hose with, but the ones Ive seen come w/a window vent that goes fromm window to window pretty easy .Ya just kinda stretch it into place and close the sash down on top of it. There are security risks on ground floors that come into play if used when the house is unoccupied.
mikemy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:15 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Search the internet for a now discontinued Toyotomi TID1800HP They went for about $1800 new and they are on wheels so you can roll them around the house. Maybe you can find one. I've had two and my relatives are always borrowing them since I have central AC.
shotdown is offline   Reply With Quote