Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2006, 09:19 PM   #1

Share |

Need Help with Floor Vents

Hey everyone I bought a "new to me" house that was built in 1920. It has 2 bedrooms upstairs with no heat. I need to get some heat up there somehow but have really no way of running ductwork up there. I know that you can put in gravity vents or cutting holes in the floor. The problem is I dont know where to find the vent covers for the holes once I cut them. I cant find them anywhere. Lowes and all the hardware stores have just the modern day vents. Any ideas? I need something that is like 20" X 20".

Also I have never really done any of this stuff before and I would have no clue how to cut these holes. How do I figure out how the floor joists are running and not totally screw this up. Please help this young clueless guy out. Thanks

Ben

bbuchwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:04 AM   #2
not a total Newbie

Maybe check your area for a recycled building materials place? Not sure where you'd look that up in the yellow pages, but it sounds like they'd have exactly what you're looking for!

Good luck

space_coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:36 AM   #3

Electric baseboard heat is very fisable in these situations. In fact in a old farm hose I recently added 1 to every upstairs room. I seen the customer last week while shopping for my wife, and they commemented how cozy it is now.
acefurnacefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:50 PM   #4

there are usualy demolition companys who tear old houses down but before they do that they will remove many items and resell them.if you call around to a few of them i am sure they will tell you who has the vents you are looking for.
trollmastergeneral is offline   Reply With Quote