DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

need help with electric motor replacement

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Ducthunter 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

My home has a natural gas heating furnace. The motor that is in the front of the furnace (that one that heats the gas and injects it into the furnace), that one is good. In the back where the filter is, below is the fan blower and that is connected with a pulley to an electrical motor, on top of the blower.

That motor don't seem to turn on anymore, when I put my hand on it, it feels really hot, but it is not even running. So because of this, the hot air circulation is very poor, we basically turn off the circuit off for the entire furnace, until we figure this motor out.

My question is about its replacement, can I use a like motor or does it have to be exactly the same, because it might not be made anymore.

It is a Franklin Electric, model # 4401030433, 115Volt, 1725 RPM, 1/3 HP motor that drives the blower to distribute the hot air.

Any advice is appreciated, the manufacture date stamped on this motor is F87, so maybe that means February 1987, maybe it burn out ? because we smell something too, kind birning woody smell, not sure, it started to happen recently ago, so just to be on the safe size, the whole thing is turned off, with summer coming, this is not going to be of great concern in the short term, but I have to get it fixed.

thanks for help!

:mellow:

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi there,

My home has a natural gas heating furnace. The motor that is in the front of the furnace (that one that heats the gas and injects it into the furnace), that one is good. In the back where the filter is, below is the fan blower and that is connected with a pulley to an electrical motor, on top of the blower.

That motor don't seem to turn on anymore, when I put my hand on it, it feels really hot, but it is not even running. So because of this, the hot air circulation is very poor, we basically turn off the circuit off for the entire furnace, until we figure this motor out.

My question is about its replacement, can I use a like motor or does it have to be exactly the same, because it might not be made anymore.

It is a Franklin Electric, model # 4401030433 1/3 HP motor that drives the blower to distribute the hot air.

Any advice is appreciated, the manufacture date stamped on this motor is F87, so maybe that means February 1987, maybe it burn out ? because we smell something too.

thanks for help!

:mellow:
the beiring probly froz and of course the winding's will burn. Here is a google searce for the motor's. If it say's what the rpm's are you could match up any motor that has the same rpm's and 120Volt http://www.buycheapr.com/us/result.jsp?ga=us10&q=franklin+electric+motors

#4 ·
thanks for the reply, looks like I can do this my self

is there any chance of repairing it, I am all about saving money, but if it wouldn't be safe, then I will buy a new one.
if it is a sealed motor no repair on those. If you have a motor repair place take it to them. If you can turn the shaft than their may be hope for it. But i bet it is froz . Their is not anything you can do . If the armature is burn than a new motor. They may have a replacement one cheeper than the brand name one. good luck

#5 · (Edited)
thanks! - I already removed the motor, now have to get a tool to remove the pulley and then to get a new motor

the shaft moves, but it makes a horrible Skreeching noise, and it smells like what we smelled in the house, a burning smell

so best bet will be to get a new one, I thought this was going to be a bigger problem than it is, pheewwww

#7 ·
this house was built in 1949, there was an upgrade done to the furnace some time ago, before I bought it 2 years ago, when motor runs, system works quite well

I did install a new digital thermostat, its way more accurate and actually saved me a whole bunch of money so far, the old one was manual, used some bubble with mercury I think to turn the circuit ON.

don't have the "few bucks" to spend right now, economy sucks still.

#10 ·
this house was built in 1949, there was an upgrade done to the furnace some time ago, before I bought it 2 years ago, when motor runs, system works quite well

I did install a new digital thermostat, its way more accurate and actually saved me a whole bunch of money so far, the old one was manual, used some bubble with mercury I think to turn the circuit ON.

don't have the "few bucks" to spend right now, economy sucks still.
The problem is a furnace will still make fire and heat even with a big hole in the heat exchanger. The heat exchanger is what seperates the dangerous fumes and the living space so with a hole or crack the CO leaks into the house instead of going out the flue. Your house-your families lives so the choice is up to you if a $70 inspection or a $50 motor is the best option on a 62 year old furnace. BTW the average furnace lasts 20-25 years before the heat exchanger cracks or rusts out.

#9 ·
kenmac said:
Don't know what type of upgrade was done.New residental furnaces don't use belt driven motors
Exactly right! Anything that old needs to be inspected by a pro, not some bs like the flames don't move when the blower turns on so it's fine (local utility is good for this one). A furnace this old could be very dangerous to operate and carbon monoxide, flame roll out, sickness, etc can result from a cracked heat exchanger under the wrong conditions. It needs a scope ran through it or someone knowledgable to extensively inspect it. My company will do this for free for units over a certain age, maybe you can find something similar in your area but if not the money is small a investment to protect you and/or families well being.

Best of luck,
Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.