Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2010, 10:12 PM   #1

Share |

Need help diagnosing Amana Air Handler No Fan

Hi All,

I disconnected the electricity to my condensing unit on the outside of my home to replace the siding. Two days later I reconnected the wiring to the outside breaker and tested the HVAC system. I ran into two problems; the condenser outside will run for a short time before shutting off, and the air handler does not run at all. The first time I tried the system I got a fair amount of white (electrical?)smoke from the outflow vents in the house, but nothing subsequently. I can feel that the condenser unit is flowing cold fluid to the radiators in the air handler.

The Air Handler is an Amana BBC36A2A with Amana Heatercoil EHK07C. I checked for power to the unit and have 240V. I removed the access panel over the blower section and see the blower cage, the motor, two circuit boards and the panel for the heater coils.

The LED on the larger circuit board is blinking every 1/2 second; according to the wiring diagram on the blower cage this indicated correct functioning. The LED on the second board is not lit at all, but I cannot find instructions on what this indicates. The blower motor turns freely and a visual inspection of the heater coils reveals nothing.

Can somebody shed some light on how to diagnose the fault here? I have basic handtools, a digital multimeter, and considerable patience.

Thanks!
Danneskjold

danneskjold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

I check for power to the blower motor.

And then look for burn spots on the circuit boards.

Along with checking for a short in the wires that run outside. Nails.screws are not friendly to wires.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #3

Hey BeenThere, thanks for the reply. I re-checked the outside wiring to the condensing unit, I'm getting a steady 240V.

In the attic with the air handler, I pulled the motor, circuit boards and heater element and have it on my bench. I pulled the motor apart, checked for melted wires, but everything looks kosher. The boards look OK as well.

I think I see that the motor itself is labeled as 110 volts; can it be tested with a pigtail into a wall outlet? I have removed the top cover with the capacitors that the wires from the circuit board plugs into.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 03-24-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
MXer

Do you have 120 volt at the fan coil?
3 legged dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:34 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Motor should be 240.

Only a few air handlers were 240 heater and 110 volt blower motor.

Check motor for continuity.

Best to check motor when its in air handler.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies all. I really appreciate the help.

This fan motor comes apart into two sections. The top portion of the fan motor contains two large capacitors and has a connector for the wire harness from the fan control board and a power line from the main board. The power line from the main board to the top portion of the motor reads 240VAC. When I check the motor itself for continuity, I get 11 Ohms resistance between any two of the three wires coming off the body of the fan motor.

I hooked the fan motor itself (not the top portion w/ logic board harness connector and capacitors) to 240VAC, but all it does is rock back and forth and give off a humming sound.

I turned the fan setting to "on" at the thermostat, but get no voltage coming from the top part of the motor (the part with the caps)

Other Misc: The transformer is working as it should.

Where can I go from here?

Thanks,
Danneskjold
Old 03-30-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Post pic of the motor, and caps.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:44 PM   #8

Hi Guys,

Here it is:

http://gallery.me.com/d.l.r#100244&v...or=black&sel=5

Let me know if you need any close-ups.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 03-30-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

The blower control board may have been the original problem. Can't tell from here.

You got an ECM blower.

It won't run without all of the wires connected to it.

If you connected 240 to that motor directly. Good chance you burned it out. Its NOT an A/C motor.
The module inverts the 240 A/C to DC. The module may have been bad. But now, the motor probably is also.

Recheck resistance between windings. Then check from each to ground.
I got a special tester for those very expensive motors.