Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #1

Share |

Need help with Carrier Furnace

So I replaced the inducer motor on the furnace....The motor sounded like bearings or however it's constructed inside were shot... Also the grommets were worn out and cause the blower wheel to slightly hit the plate that the motor assembly is mounted to. None the less here's my problem... When it turn the power on to the furnace the inducer kicks on, so that seems to be fine. I see a pilot light and hear the it sparking, but it's not lighting the burners like it did before... I didn't touch anything other than the inducer and everything worked fine before other than that... Whats the problem? Can anyone help me????? The furnace model is 58ss080-bc (carrier brand)

camaroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #2

Probably need to clean that 3 wire pilot orifice or replace the 3 wire ignitor.

I have also seen problems with the 10B1 edge pin connector. It is probably corroded inside after 27 years.

Houston204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Probably need to clean that 3 wire pilot orifice or replace the 3 wire ignitor.
Just curious. If it worked before and it wasn't touched, how could it all of a sudden need to be replaced??? Are there any types of resets?? The reason I ask is cause here's a quote from the instructions...
Quote:
With no call for heat from thermostat, perform self test on control board. See instructions on control box or on diagnostic code label. This will ensure that all components are operational including the inducer assembly.
What is a control box and how do you perform a self test?
Old 12-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #4

did you make sure inducer set in right .....is it the right one...has to pull on pressure switch to ignite burnners....make sure you did not knock off any wires.....not sure if that inducer has restrictor plate....make sure its in if it does..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #5

Quote:
did you make sure inducer set in right .....is it the right one...has to pull on pressure switch to ignite burnners....make sure you did not knock off any wires.....not sure if that inducer has restrictor plate....make sure its in if it does..
Inducer is set in no problem. I'm 110% its the right one. I'm goin through the wiring as we speak... NOt sure what a restrictor plate is and/or does.... This may be a dumb question, but is it possible for the gas to the furnace to get messed up and/or stop working somehow.. Before I started working on the furnace I cut the power, cause there's a switch in the room that the furnace sits. I did not cut the gas though. Later I noticed that theres a knob for it thats labeled on/off.. Would me not turning it to the off position cause a problem like this? The burners just dont seem to wanna light.

Last edited by camaroman; 12-14-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman View Post
Inducer is set in no problem. I'm 110% its the right one. I'm goin through the wiring as we speak... NOt sure what a restrictor plate is and/or does.... This may be a dumb question, but is it possible for the gas to the furnace to get messed up and/or stop working somehow.. Before I started working on the furnace I cut the power, cause there's a switch in the room that the furnace sits. I did not cut the gas though. Later I noticed that theres a knob for it thats labeled on/off.. Would me not turning it to the off position cause a problem like this?
that should not have caused any problems ..restrictor plate was or is behind opening on inducer...if it has it...Iam not sure...that is needed to create the proper draft to activate pressure switch that will fire burnners
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:02 PM   #7

Unplug the brown 24VAC wire from the 7V switch with a heating demand present. Do you still see the pilot light?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Unplug the brown 24VAC wire from the 7V switch with a heating demand present. Do you still see the pilot light?
I'll check it and get back to you... I had a guy stop by the house just to get a diagnosis... He said the motor isn't strong enough to create the required back pressure/ pressure differential in order for the pressure switch to close.... He did a bypass of the Pressure switch and the burners turned on momentarily... How could a direct replacement motor not be strong enough?... The original motor is #HC21ZE115. I got part # 318984-753 KIT, motor says 318984-753 on it. All specs the same. Doesn't make sense. ...... With brown wire unplugged, pilot light still there.

Last edited by camaroman; 12-14-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:09 PM   #9

If he jumped the pressure switch and it started you do not need the brown wire test.

Did he connect a manometer to measure the vacuum to the pressure switch?
Old 12-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #10

Not sure what he did, I had stepped out for a sec and when I came in I saw, whatever he did which happened to temporarily start the burner... I was just quoting what he said about the motor not pulling enough vacuum. I think he had a manometer, I thought it was a multimeter. Not sure if he did a vacuum test.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:26 PM   #11

-.66"W.C. is a common reading with newer Carrier vertical models. I haven't seen an SS model in a while.

I'm surprised that the ignitor will light the pilot with an unproven pressure switch. (No 24VAC power to 7V brown) Newer models have corrected this.

Did he temporarily (like 2 seconds of flame) remove the vent pipe to help disprove a vent pipe restriction? (a manometer would also check this)

Last edited by Houston204; 12-14-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:28 PM   #12

A meter will have red and/or black leads and a manometer has hoses.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Did he temporarily (like 2 seconds of flame) remove the vent pipe to disprove a vent pipe restriction?
No, he didn't have the vent pipe off, he had the whole assembly moved out of the way, not sure if he was just trying to access to the PC board for whatever reason. As stated, I just happened to see the burners kick on for 2 seconds (yes, flame).... Then he made the statement about the motor not being strong enough......... THen he had a Multimeter with an AMP clamp.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #14

http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...58dfa-20si.pdf

Looks like you should have the correct part.

What's the furnace heat exchanger look like?
Old 12-15-2011, 12:10 AM   #15

Doesn't seem too bad, Got a light layer of build up but surprisingly clean... At least at the inlet point to the heater exchange.