Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help with AC unit. Pics included.

I have tempstar ac unit, the model number is fsm4X2400A1. Yesterday our AC stopped working. At first I thought it was possible that lighting was the culprit because of some storms, but I found some insulation on inspection that was touching some electrical parts. There was two spots that were touching and there is some slight scorching on the insulation.

I will start from the beginning. The AC stopped working. Everything was dead on the thermostat. I found a blown 5 amp fuse that was blown in side the main unit and thought that lightning caused it. I replaced it with a 10 amp because that's all we had and it worked for a minute and starting clicking on and off and quit again. So I looked closer and seen the insulation touching. Now nothing works and the 10 amp fuse isn't blown.

Here is the pic of the circuit board were the fuse was blown.

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/...n/4e93f2ea.jpg

Here is where the insulation was touching the part. It's right above the two parts with the purple stripes on them. I pulled the insulation back up.

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/...n/e39c8390.jpg

Here's a closer pic of where it was touching.

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/...n/80411af9.jpg

We were hoping to fix this without calling anyone but I have no idea what is blown out now and if the insulation is what caused the whole problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Laura

Southern star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Those spots that the insulation touched are high voltage and would not have blown the 5A low voltage fuse. You're looking for a low voltage short and probably burnt up components from sticking a fuse twice the size that the circuit needed to protect the parts.

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

umm,

that's actually a bad move by replacing it with a 10amp. At this point, all we can do is guessing unless you have a meter. You could possibily shorted out the transformer and/or the circuit board by replacing it with a higher amperage fuse.
Did you check the breaker? Do you know if you have 120v going into the unit? If you do, then you need a meter to test the transformer, make sure you put in the right fuse. Fixing this problem will not eliminate the original problem, which is low voltage short. At this point, my best advise to you is to call a pro out there. Low voltage short is not an easy find especially without proper tools.

Last edited by Mr.HVAC; 07-09-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Mr.HVAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,024

Take that 10 amp fuse out right now and call a pro to troubleshoot to find out why the 5 amp fuse blew.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote