Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 506

Need dehumidifier for basement

Hi;
I need to replace a Haier portable dehumidifier that ran for only 2yrs before losing its charge, rendering it useless. I could have the unit repaired by Sears, but the warranty on repairs is only 90 days, and the cost is $90.
I am afraid that Sears would simply re-charge the unit, it would work for the 90 days warranty, then next year when we turn it on, the charge will have leaked out again. I do not trust Sears to actually find and repair the leak in the system before recharging it. I have had bad experiences with their repair service in the past.

So, now I am looking for a decent new unit, with a capacity of between 45 and 65 pints.
I see a lot of units on Amazon, and Home Depot, but reading reviews, it appears that every one has some problem or other. This is yet another case of poor manufacturing quality; something I have grown tired of over the past 25 years.

I still own a working Sears unit that is more than 30 years old! If only appliances were still built to those standards...

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks

FW

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
how

Rewards Points: 576

I live in Canada's version of a rain forest. Not sure where you are?

Is it practical to try addressing the source of the water entry into your home rather than using a dehumidifier?

In my area, de humidifyers are usually reserved for earthen basement floors or leaking concrete foundations.

how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE2KB View Post
Hi;
...looking for a decent new unit, with a capacity of between 45 and 65 pints.
Does anyone have a recommendation?
I might be buying one for my basement soon:
A Frigidaire 70 pint for about $200 will do the trick nicely.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

I leave the furnace fan running continuously. The constant air circulation eliminates the need for a dehumidfier. The other plus is that it sucks the cooler air from the basement. I didn't even take the cover off the central air unit until late July when we had extreme heat (Canadian style) for a few days in a row. Even then it was only on for 2 days. Both my immediate neighbours run their units fro June to August
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,600

Thermastor Santa fe.

http://www.thermastor.com/Santa-Fe/
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 506

I'm looking at "reviews" of the different brands of portable dehumidifier, and they all seem to have their weak points. The problem with the Haier unit we have is that after 2yrs it must have lost its charge, and no longer does anything except run and waste electricity. The coils do not get cold (or even cool). The compressor is running though.

As a "temporary" fix, I put a large box fan in the basement and keep it running all day. It seems to work quite nicely, especially that we have another (40pt) dehimidifier in another part of the basement.

I live in New Jersey. The summers often get very humid, and we get that dank odor in the basement (in the area where the dehumidifier isn't, thus the purchase of the 2nd one).

I am also thinking to install a small window AC unit instead of the dehumidifier. AC units seem to last a long time, and it would cool the area as well. Only issue is that with the small windows installation will be a bit of a project, although I have had one in the basement window before.
Of course, an AC unit will not dehumidify the air unless it runs a lot, so I have to make sure I don't get one that's too big, and when the weather gets cool, it won't run anymore. Probably not the best solution...

For now, I'll just use the fan; also a unit that we have had for 30 years!

FW

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,600

The cooler you make the basement, the more moisture you have to remove to keep the humidity down.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
The cooler you make the basement, the more moisture you have to remove to keep the humidity down.
I guess you're right, cause last year our basement became little "mold jungle", and for sure he have to be cautions choosing. Here is a name of a man I think could help you with the situation: "ST Hrh Hvac Inc" and the phone is: (973) 249-9199 its in NJ but I guess he can ask few questions if its only for that, and he could give you professorial advice if needed.

jonathanmcnabb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dehumidifier