Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2009, 05:22 PM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

Need a/c education--ASAP

Hi, I just bought and had installed a new Trane energy efficient heat pump and air handler in my condo about two weeks ago. I was having trouble with my old Carrier leaking freon, and was told by the contractors I was working with at the time that it needed to be replaced. I shopped around a lot before going with my current contractor and deciding on the Trane unit. 5 days after installing the new unit, it stops working again. It turns out that I have to run a new line set because the new a/c still won't hold a charge. My freon lines were run under the concrete slab foundation and not through PVC. My A/C contractor is telling me he doesn't think he can run the new lines through the crawl space (which is the only fix my HOA will allow) because he will have to run more than 100 ft of line. HOA will not let me move the A/C unit to my patio; it has to stay on the end of the building. Can anyone educate me on a/c line sets, maximum length, etc? I'm caught between my HOA and my contractor. They say it can only be done this way, and my contractor is ready to walk. There has to be a solution to this problem....I've been living in Phoenix, AZ, with no A/C since July 26th and I'm miserable!!!

devano78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Need a/c education--ASAP

Have your contractor contact Trane.

Have him make a drawing of the way the line will run. Fax it to Trane, and Trane's engineers will tell him if he has to do anything special. And what size line set to run.

There will be a loss of capacity. But it may not be much.

PS: When Trane faxes or calls him back. Make sure your contractor writes down the name of who he is talking to. Or who approved it.

Then you have full warranty, because Trane approved it.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Need a/c education--ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Have your contractor contact Trane.

Have him make a drawing of the way the line will run. Fax it to Trane, and Trane's engineers will tell him if he has to do anything special. And what size line set to run.

There will be a loss of capacity. But it may not be much.

PS: When Trane faxes or calls him back. Make sure your contractor writes down the name of who he is talking to. Or who approved it.

Then you have full warranty, because Trane approved it.
You might look at the istall instructions about line set length and if you can't find your answers you need then I agree with Been get Trane involved

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:36 PM   #4

Need a/c education--ASAP

Thank you! I talked to the contractor after reading your posts and he says that it's no problem to talk to Trane. He's already done it. We just have a fire wall that we have to get access through (unfortunately my condo is between fire walls on either end) and I have to locate the building plans at the hall of records to get it done. He and I will be crawling into the crawl space Wednesday morning to get a better measurement and formulate a plan. Thanks again for the recommendations. Any others will be appreciated!
devano78 is offline   Reply With Quote