DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Need advise from AC expert (PTAC->Ductless))

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 ·
I live in apartment with PTAC units and the noise drives me crazy. The PTAC sleeves are 40", so i can't use 42" modern PTAC replacement units. This is 34 story building so i can't make the PTAC sleeves wider - i have to keep original sleeve grille. I can do whatever i want behind the grille and outside wall (which is just a 1/4 piece of fiberglass)

I need to do something about the noise. I see the following options:

1. Install 42' sleeve behind 40' grille and find a way to connect them, install new LG PTAC - still noisy
2. Find a way to squeeze the outdoor unit of split system inside the outside wall. The outside opening will remain of the size of the grille 40x16in. If that works this is ideal - i do not mind to give up some part of the room, so the final outside wall might be as thick as necessary.
3. Build my own AC using compressor of the existing PTAC and indoor unit of the split system. Is that possible? I am good with my hands, but i do not know much about AC except for the general principals.

I'd appreciate any comment or advice here. The point is i have to do something and replacement units are as noisy as the ones installed.

Thanks for your help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you have a condo board/meetings? Check with other owners as to what they have done and maybe there is a company out there who can retrofit one and has done them and you can look at it.

#3 ·
I live in apartment with PTAC units and the noise drives me crazy. The PTAC sleeves are 40", so i can't use 42" modern PTAC replacement units. This is 34 story building so i can't make the PTAC sleeves wider - i have to keep original sleeve grille. I can do whatever i want behind the grille and outside wall (which is just a 1/4 piece of fiberglass)

I need to do something about the noise. I see the following options:

1. Install 42' sleeve behind 40' grille and find a way to connect them, install new LG PTAC - still noisy
2. Find a way to squeeze the outdoor unit of split system inside the outside wall. The outside opening will remain of the size of the grille IMPOSSIBLE 40x16in. If that works this is ideal - i do not mind to give up some part of the room, so the final outside wall might be as thick as necessary.
3. Build my own AC using compressor of the existing PTAC and indoor unit of the split system. Is that possible? NO I am good with my hands, but i do not know much about AC except for the general principals.

I'd appreciate any comment or advice here. The point is i have to do something and replacement units are as noisy as the ones installed.

Thanks for your help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.