Need Advice On Replacing Furnace With HVAC - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need advice on replacing furnace with HVAC

I am finally replacing the 60+ y.o. oil fired furnace in my home. It provides hot water for our daily use and the heat radiated floor. I'll be lucky if it lasts another 3 months. Also important is the floor system is copper tubing in the concrete foundation. Concrete is rough on unprotected copper; several long timers from this neighborhood have told me they had leaks in different zones. I have two window units for cooling. My home is a small ranch, about 1400 sq.ft. My questions are numerous but here'sa few at the top. I appreciate any and all wisdom shared on this forum.
I'd like to stick with fuel oil. Will I be able to install a heating and cooling unit? Or is the cooling function only powered by electricity?
Since I'm going for heating and cooling, certainly ductwork is required. Will a contractor allow me to run the ducts, registers and returns myself? I'm a union carpenter and unfortunately work is slow and I'm lucky to work eight months out of the year so I'm on a tight budget. Would a professional contractor go for that? I'd pay for him to work up the specs of course but that is a huge percentage of his labor charge he loses.
Again, thanks for your time and insight.

Advertisement

Joe Cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Never hurts to ask. The worst they can say is no and call you a scab. Honestly though the duct hanging is the easy part. Fabrication and design takes as much, if not more, time than hanging so don't expect too much of a cost drop.

Advertisement

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #3

Not too concerned with being called names, especially when I'm actively looking for work with non-union contractors now. Supporting workers rights is one thing but starving myself for that effort earns me a few other choice names.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Just having a little fun Joe, hence the jester. With 20% of Americans unemployed or under employed a guy has to do what a guy has to do.

The biggest issue is the furnace and AC must have correct air flow or they flat out will not work right. Do a good job and all will be well. Do a poor job and the company might not stand behind the equipment since it will be destined to fail and that failure was out of their control. As I said though it doesn't hurt to ask. Just make sure to get specifics in writing.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty S. For This Useful Post:
Joe Cass (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #5

no, I knew you were having fun! Its all good. The worst that can happen is they say no, right? I'm considering your comment about how much I think I'll be saving. I could get a plumber and an electrician also layed off and doing side work but the investment I'll have to make in the unit itself kind of demands I get an enforceable warranty, you know.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 862

I would try to find an independant HVAC guy (not one who works for a large co as side jobs are forbidden) and offer to trade part of the job in carpentry skills for him and pay him the rest. The barter system works well. Large companies are VERY watchful these days of what their employees are doing and there is ALWAYS eyes on us at the wholesalers and somebody ready to rat you out but a private guy can do whatever he wants. Maybe he needs a carpenter for a family member or rental. Permits should be taken for liability reasons and the insurance co so you would be best to get a Pro and trade with him.

Advertisement

Joe Cass (02-19-2012)