Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #1

Share |

Need Advice

I bought a foreclosure that will be my house hopefully for a long time. One of the many issues I have yet to deal with is that the gas line started leaking. Obviously, it is turned off but at some point I need to repair it. My dilemma is that I am not sure if I should run a whole new line or go with just a repair. At some point I am thinking that I want to get a modern system(higher psi) and I don't think the old galvanized pipes will handle it...I think there will just be a lot of leaks. I am also worried that a repair will just cause issues down at another junction.

Any advice? I was thinking copper might be good. I really don't understand how they fix the old pipe because of the threading on both sides....you have to unscrew one way but it makes it tighter on the other side. Copper, I would think, would be easy to replace if a section needed had an issue.
01grander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #2

Need Advice

#1 Gas lines should never be galvinized pipe.
#2 A Black iron pipe inside a home should never go bad or rust out.

Post a picture of these pipes.
No DIY should be working on gas lines anyway. Only a real licenced plumber with an added gas licence.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:35 AM   #3
REP

Need Advice

The only time copper is allowed is on propane and even then I wouldn't use it.Black iron pipe is strong and will last a lifetime.Galv pipe tends to flake inside and eventually it gets to pilot and burner orfices and plug up.
To get the old galv pipe out,start at the end and unscrew back to the meter.If the gas is shut off at the meter which it should be ,then you could saw at any point with a hack saw but if there is gas trapped in the line you don't want any sparks.If the old line goes to a water heater or stove,there shoulsd be a union to unscrew to get you started.Good luck
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:47 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Need Advice

Get rid of all of the galv pipe. You can run your new line is CSST. It must be sized properly.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #5

Need Advice

If your line comes into a basement you should get an idea where all the gas appliances are now and what is required gas pipe size, and what the main should be.

Disconnect the Glav at the meter and install a new main line through the basement with tees and caps where the appliances takeoff from the main.
In addition I would install a couple other tees and caps at a couple places on the main in case you want to add or move an appliance at a later date. All black screw pipe with the gas companies blessing. I wouldn't do anything with out a visit from the gas Company.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
Roofmaster

Need Advice

First of all, are you talking about gas lines, water, or compressed air????

Secondly, Yes gas lines are installed from a starting point, and screwed together sequentially from the point where they originate to the appliance they serve. There should be a union near all appliances to allow disconnect.

Third, and I am sure all the old timers are going to yell here. Galvanized pipe can be used for gas if your local codes allow it. Of course your local code official will usually not know why, he/ she will just say because that's the way its always been, or because that's the code.

About a million years ago, there was a concern that the agent that they used to give gas its distinctive odor would cause the zinc to slough off the surface of zinc coated (Galvanized) pipe. After extensive testing it was found that this did not occur, but the legend, and the ignorance concerning it stuck.

There was probably some concern for identification back when galvanized pipe was used for water supply. My dads house has copper supplies, and it was built in 1948, so the use of galvanized pipes for water supply probably stopped just after WWII.

Any way, the legend continues, in spite of erroneous information.

I still hear people using the designation CDX (The X meant Exterior Glue) for plywood sheathing, although plywood has not been laminated with interior glue since at least the 60's. The correct designation is CD exposure 1 meaning a C face veneer, a D back veneer, and exposure 1 designating its resistance to delamination in the presence of moisture.

Exposure 1 is pretty darn good, as the test consists of boiling a 6 x 6 inch section for four days. If it doesn't come apart, it passes.

In the meantime, those of you who are worried about having galvanized pipe supplying gas to your appliances are suffering from unwarranted stress.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Need Advice

There are areas that forbid it in their local code. Some areas require it in their local code.

Since the OP probably doesn't have a 4 wheel cutter, to cut out a section, and then a hand threader to thread the pipe that is still up at the joist. So remove it all, and rerun it in CSST. Saves lots of time.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
Roofmaster

Need Advice

Rep, please post a picture of a piece of galvanized pipe that has flaked off inside, because I have never seen this happen, or are you just saying this because you heard it somewhere?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
Experienced HVAC Tech

Need Advice

CSST is great and easy to do but to buy it you have to have a certification or at least a company you work for has to. also if you use it you will end up spending about 3 or 4 times as much
HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
REP

Need Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Rep, please post a picture of a piece of galvanized pipe that has flaked off inside, because I have never seen this happen, or are you just saying this because you heard it somewhere?
I was told that at my city's basic gas class given by the local utility.This was not a small town it was a large city.I never questioned that info.
As for using it for water I have replaced galv water line and you couldn't see through a 6" nipple it was pluged solid.How any water got through that is something I can only wonder about.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #11

Need Advice

Thanks for all the replies. I haven't been around my computer this weekend so I haven't been able to respond.

My house is from 1924 so it has a lot of things that are outdated. It definitely has galvanized pipe which I want to replace with something that will last for the next 30 years at least.

My main concern is the threading and if there is a gas leak again. I've been told that the threading makes it to where if you tighen on one side then the other side is becoming looser.

Isn't csst just for going from the t to the appliance? Or are they using that for the entire line now?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #12
Hvac Pro

Need Advice

Galvanized ALWAYS was/is a hard joint to seal and I did lots of it in a hospital and with high pressure water etc. Steel pipe is the norm and replacing a gas line is NOT a DIY project as you need to be a licensed gas fitter and know the codes and take out a permit etc. Best to get one to replace the whole line from the meter down to all the appliances.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #13

Need Advice

So copper is not used with gas?

I wasn't planning on doing it myself but I liked to be informed before I talk to someone. I've hired a few people and they did not do the work correctly. I'd like to be able to talk to them to the extent they know I can check what they are doing.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
Hvac Pro

Need Advice

copper is very expensive and usually only used for small jobs and outside like to hook up BBQs (running from a main line inside). It is easy to puncture and therefore usually used for BBQs and to hook up fireplaces and small jobs. there is this CSST corrugated stainless steel tubing coated with yellow nylon which is a continuos length of pipe but is quite expensive/the fittings etc but for some contractors and in some cases saves $$ on labor, is quicker and easier to install so they may recommend that. does not require all the labor and pipe threading machinery etc so I would be OK if they recommend that. again not a DIY material.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #15

Need Advice

Not sure where you live but hereabouts (Maryland) houses are built with continuous copper interior gas lines. Each run (from meter to inside manifold and individual line to each appliance) is a continuous piece with no concealed unions or joints. All connections are flare fittings. Not sure where that would fall on the cost continuum but probably more than steel but less than CSST? Probably less labor cost if they could access the joist chases and such to fish it through. You might check to see if that is an option in your locality.