Natural Gas Vs Propane Cost - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Natural gas vs propane cost

I'm looking to move from city life to an older house just outside city limits, most of the houses I have looked at have propane tanks for fuel as apposed to city feed natural gas.

Just curious what the cost difference may be if you were to compare same style houses with similar efficient windows and such. Are my gas prices going to go through the roof?

just curious

D-rock

Advertisement

D-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,696

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-rock View Post
I'm looking to move from city life to an older house just outside city limits, most of the houses I have looked at have propane tanks for fuel as apposed to city feed natural gas.

Just curious what the cost difference may be if you were to compare same style houses with similar efficient windows and such. Are my gas prices going to go through the roof?

just curious

D-rock
http://www.propanecost.com/index.php?p=btu

Advertisement

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 864

ask the current owner for a record of last yrs billls or get the realtor to do it. propane can be more expensive as you may have to rent the tank and pay delivery charges. that varies from company to company and area to area. you should find out who the supplier is and ask them for some info.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,696

Previous records may have some value if the two families have identical lifestyles, but if one family is comfortable at 78 and another at 68 there will be a huge difference plus how many dogs, cats, kids, and adults are in and out several times per day along with showers , laundry etc. that can take a toll on the chip stack.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 864

no doubt about it and there is NO way to compare 2 houses due to the lifestyles, insulation etc but he should be able to get the price +/- $2-300 and if it turns out lower then that is a bonus.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 202

I had propane on my last house. price will depend on how much you use more propane,cheaper price. its like buying gas from a gas station, you never know if it goes up untill you use it. some companies have you sign a 1 year contract that will lock the price in. usually when you buy from a company they let you use the tank for free. Also you can have it set up that they automaticly come out or you can have it that they will come out when your low. If you run out, there can be an addional fee for an emergency fill up. the company i used would give you a discount if you pay for it at the time of fill up, which i did. was 15 cents a gallon, times 400 gallons was a lot. i was thier best customer. i used 400 gallons in three weeks during the winter. I ran out on xmas one year and the came out within 2 hours and fill me up with no extra charge. call diffrent companies and she what they have to offer.
hvac instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

thanks guys, I'll see if I can get some old bills, records

Advertisement

D-rock is offline   Reply With Quote