Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #1

Share |

Myths vs. Truths about duct cleaning.

Hello all.

What are your opinions on this matter?? I've heard better to leave the dust alone as stiring the dust up could make things worse????

If I decide to go for it, what should the price be roughly for a 3200 sq. ft home?

mlijoi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mlijoi For This Useful Post:
TorontoMike (02-04-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #2

I just had mine cleaned, and mostly did it since I was finishing up a renovation. I went with a reputable company in the area and was told it's not something that has to be done annually for sure. The company I went with also serviced the unit so I saved on getting that done. they do a 10 vent minimum and the price was $450 per unit. They also will fog the system to kill any mold/bacteria for that price. I don't think the price goes up if you have more than that...maybe though but not much. I don't think it's a bad idea to do it once and a while, but if your coils don't look dirty and the unit doesn't seem to have problems, I wouldn't think it's that big a concern. Like I said, I just did mine cause I knew a lot of junk had fallen in the supply ducts and even though I hadn't run the hvac while the renovation was going on, it sat idle a while so figured it couldn't hurt to get them cleaned out. However, since mine are flex ducting they couldn't really clean the whole duct since they'd risk the brush tearing the liner. I know some places suggest doing it every year, but I think they're just trying to make a living, and I guess it can't hurt. But if you don't have cause to think they need cleaning I probably wouldn't do it, maybe ever 5-10 years or so. Just my two cents, i'm by no means an expert.

autx790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

99% of the time, a waste of money.
ben's plumbing (02-05-2014), COLDIRON (02-06-2014), hvactech126 (02-03-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 04:14 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

I did it when I was staring in the biz and it is AMAZING the amount of crap that sits in a return duct and we would suck out from OLDER houses ( 30+ yrs and poorly maintained air filters). Lots of duct cleaners do a dog and pony show and have poor quality or small vacuums etc. Personally I like the companies that use the robotic duct cleaning method. There is one VERY well established old school duct cleaner where I am that does commercial and institutional jobs and resi and won't ruin their reputation by doing hacker work but they are hard to find.

If you want to know if it needs doing cut a 8" hole in a flat part of horz return duct and look inside with a mirror and then patch the hole with sheetmetal/joist liner you can buy at HDepot or a local HVAC or sheet metal co.

Last edited by yuri; 01-30-2014 at 04:17 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
how

The only clients that I know who have noticed any before and after improvement with duct cleaning have been those who test positive for a dust mite feces allergy. For them I say..sure.
Otherwise I tell them to save their money.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to how For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-05-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
Lurking....always Lurking

We are in the process of moving, and had the ducts done in the house we are purchasing. The previous owner had four cats, and my wife is VERY allergic.

The cost was $30 per register or cold air return. We ended up spending $510.

The tech that did the work said that the ducts were about 7 of 10 on the nasty scale. He did say that dog hair is much worse on ducts than cat hair. Since we have 2 dogs, he said we may want to think about it in another 10 years or so.
rrudd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #7

Good timing for the post. Mine have never been cleaned other than sticking a vacuum hose in each return once a year. The wife is in the hospital getting a bone marrow transplant and I'm completing the remodel so going to have the returns cleaned once the drywall sanding and painting is done.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

Hope she is doing well and does well.

Trick to duct cleaning is for them to have a big truck with big vacuum, good hoses that are not ratty and leaking and not some service van sized vehicle with small vacuum and poor suction. I have heard that the robotic method is good too.

Last edited by yuri; 02-03-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:33 PM   #9

I am laying some floor sheathing and I wanted to change my boots from the type that have registers against the wall to the type that just sit in the floor.

So I disassembled a run and ended up taking a large hand towel and putting it in a plastic shopping sack, then wrapping the "ball" with a wet towel, about 1/2 the size of a bath towel. I pushed it through once with a stick, turned the towel on the other side, and pushed it through again.

Then I washed the towel and ran it through twice again and it was clean.

My ductwork is 44 years old.

I cleaned a lot of the return when I installed a new furnace. The old A coil was very dirty. I'm not sure how air was passing through it.

I change my filter every month and I expect things will stay much cleaner now, at least on the portion of the system after the filter.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #10
Professional

I always recommend it after a renovation where there's lots of dust. I wouldn't do it as often as Vac companies say but it should help. Go with a good reputable company and don't cheap out. Cheap guys are not thorough and may damage your duct work or furnace.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #11

I had my ducts cleaned after a reno. I had just moved in so I had no knowledge of previous cleanings.

The guy told me to 'watch this' when he did the final vacuum through the cold air return into the furnace. The amount of dust and junk in the ducts totally blew my mind. It's like someone shaved a yak. Totally worth it in my mind after seeing it first-hand.

I'll probably do it once every 10 years, unless I do another reno.
TorontoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #12
Wire Chewer

I've been wanting to get mine done, they just don't like doing it in winter as it's hard on the machines to run them in the extreme cold. (it's a giant vacuum/compressor that is in the back of a semi, and they bring tubing in the house and basically depresurize it).

I think it's a good idea to do it once in a while. I've done spots that I can reach, it can get quite nasty in there. ex:

That was the return. I have 1 short haired Siamese cat. The supply ducts arn't as bad, but they are still quite nasty. You have to consider that every now and then some of that dust will unsettle and you are breathing that stuff.

When it initially gets done, sure it might loosen up some dust and any dust that they missed may get released, but after that, it's clean.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:35 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
You have to consider that every now and then some of that dust will unsettle and you are breathing that stuff.

You breath that stuff every day. As its always floating in the air.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #14
Hvac Pro

After they clean it some dust will be disturbed and you need to check your air filter and change it every week or 2nd week for a month. Then it settles down. I think it is worth doing if you can actually see a layer of it in the return ducts. Not everyone needs it and the only way to know for sure it to cut an inspection hole. Depends if you have allergies or how cleanliness inclined a person is.

Last edited by yuri; 02-04-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:15 AM   #15

Go to Youtube and type in duct cleaning scams and these are the companies you don't want to hire.

hvac instructor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duct cleaning