My Oil Burner Is Short Cycling - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

My oil burner is short cycling

This is my first post so please bear with me, I have read others post's and seen a lot of information missing so I will give as much as I can to see if someone knows the answer.

I have a Carlin EZ-1 Burner and a Thermotron II Boiler my hot water runs through my heater as well and I believe I only have one zone. The boiler does not have a sight on it so I cannot see how the flame looks.

About two weeks ago I noticed my heater would turn on then turn off 30 seconds later repeatedly then run a good cycle and shut off for about an hour or so. A couple times through the day it would sound like a helicopter landing and my house would shake.

I have done simple repairs on my heater throughout the years so immediately went out got a new nozzle (.75 60 degree) and replaced the filter (both which were in very bad shape). When I pulled out the piece that holds the nozzle I noticed on the shield around the nozzle was wet with oil. (I figured this was from the poor nozzle) I adjusted my electrodes to the Carlin's recommendation.

It ran great for about 3 days now it is back to short cycling and puffing out at the end of cycles as if the liners are wet (which I think because it is turning on and off so much).

I believe I may have one of two problems 1.) My Flame sensor is bad or 2.) My Honeywell Aquastat L8124A, C is going bad.

From the time that I started typing this my heater has run 7 times in the last 15 minutes.

Is there any other things I may be overlooking? Would a Aquastat going bad cause these problems? Could it be a flame sensor? I appreciate anyone's help on this issue Thanks! Rich

Advertisement

Richd820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,182

When was the last time that you cleaned the soot out of it?

Advertisement

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #3

I moved in to this house august and by the looks of the filter and nozzle I would say it was never cleaned... I did not think of this do you know the steps to clean out a boiler like this, it doesn't seem to have access to the boiler...
Old 12-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,182

That, I cannot help you with, as I am not familiar with your particular furnace, but based on my experience, your symptoms would seem to indicate that it's time, or probably past time, to do that, so hopefully one of the experts will stop by. Even though this is a DIY site, I would still recommend having it claned and checked by a local professional, at least this time around, just so you know that everything is as it should be.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #5

Ok I've cleaned my old one yearly I will attempt to take this thing apart I did not know that soot buildup could make it short cycle thank you for your advice
Old 12-18-2011, 08:03 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,046

There is a way to see the flame it's about 1/2" square plug right above the burner assembly unscrew that and look in at the flame. Sounds like you need a pro to clean and inspect and setup your system. Just cleaning will do no good without proper combustion analyzer readings and settings. You will save a lot of money on fuel costs if the pro sets it up.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,702

Make sure its burning before you remove the plug.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

that rumbling is the oil igniting and sounds like it is all over the place within the burner box and that produces soot..and that cycle off rumble and puff back is critical to be cheacked it will get worst before better.just cleaning the ignition probes might give you a llonger run but not right....never that simple and when you say its cycles just not firing or are you resetting the oil burner assembly red button to restart.did you recently have an oil delievery might be pumping water oil mix filter nozzle needs changing
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #9

I pulled the plug before and could only see a glow... Not a very good sight in there... I stuck my tank for water a couple days ago no water in my tank at all my cousin told me its the same as taking apart a regular boiler I was worried because it was a positive pressure boiler I am going to take it apart in about an hour and will post when I get it cleaned out
Old 12-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #10

And it doesn't throw the red button on shutoff
Old 12-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #11

Update... Took the boiler apart no signs of soot on the sleeves.. I cleaned it anyway sucked out the chamber. My chimney had about 4 lbs of soot in it.. This did not help solve my problem does anyone have any more suggestions? Now it sounds like it is sputtering and getting really deep in sound
Old 12-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,000

if your not resetting at all on the actual burner gun then something out side is bouncing the heating call..to get away from the stat remove it off the subbase... and jump R to W up at the stat see if you get a solid run(your simulating a stat with this jump) still acting the same...leave the stat off the subbase.go down to the furnace shut the servcie switch OFF remove the 2 wires coming down from the stat....jump those terminals you removed the wires off of.now put the servcie switch UP/ON(again your simulating a stat)with the service switch.looking again for a consistant run or the same old problem.if down at the boiler results in the same old...same old the problem is the AQUASTAT relays not holding the heating call in easy change out if your willing to pick it up at Grainger supply #2E861 or local heating supply even HD/LOWES..maybe.get back with the honeywell model number off the control on the cover or stamped on the inside of the module.this is just for the controlling problem still need that rumbling to get looked at...or not even kidding with this you could have a major blow back with it and oil smell for the holidays up in thru the house....two suppliers i show are for references and pricing.if yo have an oil service company come in they have these on the trucks and will bang you $$$ for them..get one in before they come in ..it's up to you. good luck http://www.bestbuyheatingandaircondi...ry_Code=hw-boc

Last edited by biggles; 12-18-2011 at 05:59 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,702

Could be poor settings for nozzle position and air settings.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #14

I have a aquastat getting dropped off tomorrow I am really concerned about the rumble it is getting worse and worse I didnt mess with the air settings at all and to tune this thing my neighbor said I need a tool does anyone know where I can acquire this tool to read a positive pressure boiler?
Old 12-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #15

Also could the aquastat be causing this on off on off leaving unburned fuel in the chamber resulting in the rumble?

Advertisement

Tags
aquastat , carlin , honeywell l8124a , short cycling