My New Humidifier Not Working Well - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

My new humidifier not working well

Four months ago, I newly installed a Lennox furnace and a Honeywell HE225 ByPass FlowThru humidifier. They installed the humidifier, connected to water supply, connected to a humidistat, and a duct connected back to the heating main duct. Four things. Since then, my house humidity can never exceed 26% though I have the Blower Fan ON all the time and set the Humidistat to the highest. I noticed water supply to the HE225 ONLY when the furnace heat kicks in. I talked to the installer, they only said I have to spend another $2000-+ to get one with motor.

I suspected that the installer had done something incorrectly to cause this problem. Can anyone tell me where went wrong? and can it be solved without paying another $2000-?

Thank you. (see photo attached)
Attached Thumbnails
My new humidifier not working well-p1080010.jpg  

Advertisement

ccpyue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 826

$2000 it better be gold plated. He is blowing you off. Do you have a fresh air pipe from the outside hooked up to your return duct? Do you have a HRV or ERV ventilator. If you run the fan on ON with that fresh air pipe hooked up it will suck in lots of dry air and you will lose ground with your humidity level. If you have a HRV or ERV they can dry your house out as well.
http://lifebreath.com/category.php?category_id=5

Advertisement

Last edited by yuri; 02-04-2011 at 02:05 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
$2000 it better be gold plated. He is blowing you off. Do you have a fresh air pipe from the outside hooked up to your return duct? Do you have a HRV or ERV ventilator. If you run the fan on ON with that fresh air pipe hooked up it will suck in lots of dry air and you will lose ground with your humidity level.

HI, my furnace has two thick white color plastic pipes for IN and OUT. I keep the fan ON all because I hope as soon as water supplies to humidifier can generate more moisted air to the house. Obviously it won't, because if the furnace is not heating, no water will supply. How can I overcome this problem and can allow water supply to the humidifier if the humidistat sense that the house humidity is low, even the furnace heat is not kicked in? Very desperate to have this solve without paying the installer again.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

He probably hooked the 2 wires from it onto the W and C terminals or the H (hum) terminal on the furnace circuit board. You can switch them to the R and C terminals but need to shut it off at the humidistat for summer OR when turning the fan to Auto or it will waste a heck of a lot of water running down the drain continuously.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #5

Quote:
He probably hooked the 2 wires from it onto the W and C terminals or the H (hum) terminal on the furnace circuit board. You can switch them to the R and C terminals but need to shut it off at the humidistat for summer OR when turning the fan to Auto or it will waste a heck of a lot of water running down the drain continuously.

Hi, is it possible to have the Humidifier control by the Humidistat and the Blower Only (Not by the furnace)? That means if the house humidity is lower than the set-humidity, the Blower start, as well as the water starts supply to humidifier? In summer, I can always set the humidity to 0 on the humidistat. Can this be done?
Old 02-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

Not a good idea to try as it could create troubleshooting problems later with techs who do not understand specialized wiring circuits. The contacts in the humidistat may not be rated for that either. Which furnace do you have. Some furnace motors can use up to $1 a day or more in electricity to run. If it is a G61V or G71 or SLP they have an energy efficient motor which only uses 80 watts on low speed. The others have the regular motor.

Last edited by yuri; 02-04-2011 at 02:55 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #7

Quote:
No. Which furnace do you have. Some furnace motors can use up to $1 a day or more in electricity to run. If it is a G61V or G71 or SLP they have an energy efficient motor which only uses 80 watts on low speed. The others have the regular motor.

My furnace is Lennox G61MPV C-090, High-E 90000 mBTU 2 stage. Is the motor a two speed one? But there has not switch to change Hi Lo speed.
Searching the internet, it seems this HE225 humidifier comes with a "Transformer" and probably a called "Sail Switch". I don't know what these two parts for. But I cannot see these parts (or look-a-like) in my system. Are these missing parts can help to improve my present situation?
Old 02-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

They are not needed and you do have the very economical to run energy efficient variable speed ECM motor (V) drive we call them. Has multiple speeds and the circuit board looks after that for you. There are terminals (H) on the circuit board to connect the humidifier to. Those parts are for other non-prewired furnaces. Carefully look outside your house for an extra intake vent that looks like a clothes dryer exhaust hood. If there is a insulated pipe attached to it running to the cold air return duct that is your problem. Let us know what you find. Where do you live?
Old 02-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #9

Quote:
They are not needed and you do have the very economical to run energy efficient variable speed ECM motor (V) drive we call them. Has multiple speeds and the circuit board looks after that for you. There are terminals (H) on the circuit board to connect the humidifier to. Those parts are for other non-prewired furnaces. Carefully look outside your house for an extra intake vent that looks like a clothes dryer exhaust hood. If there is a insulated pipe attached to it running to the cold air return duct that is your problem. Let us know what you find. Where do you live?

I found two white color large pipe extended from the furnace to outside the house. One is "S" shape upward blowing out warm moist air, and other one is straight out then bend downward. (Photo attached). I am in Markham of Ontario.
Attached Thumbnails
My new humidifier not working well-out-outside.jpg  
Old 02-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
Hvac Pro

Carefully inspect your return air duct and see if there is a insulated pipe running from it to the outside of the house. This is VERY common in Canada and is called a fresh air pipe. If you have one it is sucking in very dry fresh air and using up your humidity. If you do then let me know as there is a solution for it called a motorized Hoyme damper which can be installed.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Carefully inspect your return air duct and see if there is a insulated pipe running from it to the outside of the house. This is VERY common in Canada and is called a fresh air pipe. If you have one it is sucking in very dry fresh air and using up your humidity. If you do then let me know as there is a solution for it called a motorized Hoyme damper which can be installed.

I think these are the only two pipes from furnace to outside. No insulated pipe can be found. Have photo attached view from insdie the house in basement. the only insulated small pipe on the left is for the air-conditioner. The installer did mentioned to me that both white color pipes must inclined towards the frunace, so that condensation water will flow back in to the furnace. Any clue?
Attached Thumbnails
My new humidifier not working well-out-inside.jpg  
Old 02-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #12
Hvac Pro

Is there a GOOD sized steady stream of water flowing thru the humidifier to the drain. If not open the water valve on the supply line a bit more. Pad may not be wet enough/getting enough water.

Are you getting static sparks? Is your gauge that you are measuring 26% accurate? I have had customers with older gauges or cheap ones that read as much as 10% too low. May actually be 36% RH in your house or somewhere in between. Go to HDepot and buy the most expensive Bionaire table top hygrometer you can find in the air cleaner or humidifier area. The el cheapos are RARELY accurate. I compare lots of them to my Pro tester and very few read within 5% of what they should.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Is there a GOOD sized steady stream of water flowing thru the humidifier to the drain. If not open the water valve on the supply line a bit more. Pad may not be wet enough/getting enough water.

Are you getting static sparks? Is your gauge that you are measuring 26% accurate? I have had customers with older gauges or cheap ones that read as much as 10% too low. May actually be 36% RH in your house or somewhere in between. Go to HDepot and buy the most expensive Bionaire table top hygrometer you can find in the air cleaner or humidifier area. The el cheapos are RARELY accurate. I compare lots of them to my Pro tester and very few read within 5% of what they should.

The "S" shape pipe has a steady stream of moisted air blowing out when the furnace heat kicks in. We can see ice built up there. The water valve on the supply line is fully opened. Since the heat control by thermostat, and so does the water ( no heating = no water to humidifier ). So the pad is dry when furnace not heating.

My skin tell me the humidity is very low, I have scratch my body almost non-stop (I don't have this with my old Rolling Drum Humidifier in the past years). I have a digital Bionaire bought from Canadian Tire for $25-. Cannot be calibrate or I don't know how. I am now start testing its accuracy (sealed in plastic bag with a small disc of salt and a few drop of water), six hours more to wait.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #14
Hvac Pro

Carefully remove the drain hose from the bottom of the humidifier and make sure there is a good stream of water flowing thru it when the heat is on. You may have a bad solenoid water valve inside it or no power to it or other problems.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Carefully remove the drain hose from the bottom of the humidifier and make sure there is a good stream of water flowing thru it when the heat is on. You may have a bad solenoid water valve inside it or no power to it or other problems.

The drain hose and solenoid water valve are working fine. I tested it frequently, to adjust the thermostat temperature high so the furnace start generating heat, and I can see water immediately supplying to the humidifier, after a very short while, water start draining out from the hose. Once I lower the thermostat below room temperature, furnace not heating, water stopped immediately. So in one day, how many hours in totaly that the furnace is heating means only those hours will have water supplies to the humidifier. Other time, dry pad, no moist air.

One more thing I just found out the water is supplying from a COLD water pipe, NOT from hot water pipe. This should be the careless mistake of the installer. I need to change it tomorrow.

Advertisement